Fresh Pick: ‘Viva La Hova’

They say there’s no such thing as a free lunch, but who in the world needs lunch when you can have a free mixtape mashing up two of the world’s premier acts – Jay-Z and Coldplay.

Last week, DJ Mick Boogie and partner Terry Urban dropped a mixtape entitled Viva La Hova, which effectively brings together “the lyrical elegance of Shawn Carter, the vocal magic of Chris Martin and the finely tuned instruments of Coldplay.”

By teaming with some of hip-hop’s top producers like 9th Wonder, The Kickdrums and Judah, Boogie and Urban bring the world an inspiring collection that all music fans can agree on. Finally, hip-hop heads and alternative enthusiasts can sit in a room and enjoy an album that truly transcends genre.

Sonically, the album works so damn well because it doesn’t compromise any of the artistry that Coldplay and Jay-Z bring to their tracks. There are no blends that alter Jay’s voice, and there are no cheesy drum patterns that outshine Coldplay’s anthemic instrumentation. Simply put, the producers knew not to mess with a great thing and instead mixed together the proven sounds of past collaborators.

From Jay’s heart wrenching reminiscing on “Lost Part 2” to his introspective paradox on “Science is Ignorant,” and his honest attempt at a love song on “What if We Cry,” listeners follow Jay’s storytelling over Coldplay’s hits as if they were tailor-made for each other.

Not since Dangermouse’s Grey Album has a mash-up been so innovative and successful. So it’s no wonder that just a week after its digital release, the tape’s received nods of approval from Jay and Coldplay and has big fans in everyone from John Mayer to Mike Shinoda.

For more info on the tape and download links, check out the project’s official site: www.vivalahova.com.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...