Fresh Pick: ‘Viva La Hova’

They say there’s no such thing as a free lunch, but who in the world needs lunch when you can have a free mixtape mashing up two of the world’s premier acts – Jay-Z and Coldplay.

Last week, DJ Mick Boogie and partner Terry Urban dropped a mixtape entitled Viva La Hova, which effectively brings together “the lyrical elegance of Shawn Carter, the vocal magic of Chris Martin and the finely tuned instruments of Coldplay.”

By teaming with some of hip-hop’s top producers like 9th Wonder, The Kickdrums and Judah, Boogie and Urban bring the world an inspiring collection that all music fans can agree on. Finally, hip-hop heads and alternative enthusiasts can sit in a room and enjoy an album that truly transcends genre.

Sonically, the album works so damn well because it doesn’t compromise any of the artistry that Coldplay and Jay-Z bring to their tracks. There are no blends that alter Jay’s voice, and there are no cheesy drum patterns that outshine Coldplay’s anthemic instrumentation. Simply put, the producers knew not to mess with a great thing and instead mixed together the proven sounds of past collaborators.

From Jay’s heart wrenching reminiscing on “Lost Part 2” to his introspective paradox on “Science is Ignorant,” and his honest attempt at a love song on “What if We Cry,” listeners follow Jay’s storytelling over Coldplay’s hits as if they were tailor-made for each other.

Not since Dangermouse’s Grey Album has a mash-up been so innovative and successful. So it’s no wonder that just a week after its digital release, the tape’s received nods of approval from Jay and Coldplay and has big fans in everyone from John Mayer to Mike Shinoda.

For more info on the tape and download links, check out the project’s official site: www.vivalahova.com.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...