Culture

Fresh Pick: ‘Viva La Hova’

They say there’s no such thing as a free lunch, but who in the world needs lunch when you can have a free mixtape mashing up two of the world’s premier acts – Jay-Z and Coldplay.

Last week, DJ Mick Boogie and partner Terry Urban dropped a mixtape entitled Viva La Hova, which effectively brings together “the lyrical elegance of Shawn Carter, the vocal magic of Chris Martin and the finely tuned instruments of Coldplay.”

By teaming with some of hip-hop’s top producers like 9th Wonder, The Kickdrums and Judah, Boogie and Urban bring the world an inspiring collection that all music fans can agree on. Finally, hip-hop heads and alternative enthusiasts can sit in a room and enjoy an album that truly transcends genre.

Sonically, the album works so damn well because it doesn’t compromise any of the artistry that Coldplay and Jay-Z bring to their tracks. There are no blends that alter Jay’s voice, and there are no cheesy drum patterns that outshine Coldplay’s anthemic instrumentation. Simply put, the producers knew not to mess with a great thing and instead mixed together the proven sounds of past collaborators.

From Jay’s heart wrenching reminiscing on “Lost Part 2” to his introspective paradox on “Science is Ignorant,” and his honest attempt at a love song on “What if We Cry,” listeners follow Jay’s storytelling over Coldplay’s hits as if they were tailor-made for each other.

Not since Dangermouse’s Grey Album has a mash-up been so innovative and successful. So it’s no wonder that just a week after its digital release, the tape’s received nods of approval from Jay and Coldplay and has big fans in everyone from John Mayer to Mike Shinoda.

For more info on the tape and download links, check out the project’s official site: www.vivalahova.com.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...