Fresh Pick: ‘Viva La Hova’

They say there’s no such thing as a free lunch, but who in the world needs lunch when you can have a free mixtape mashing up two of the world’s premier acts – Jay-Z and Coldplay.

Last week, DJ Mick Boogie and partner Terry Urban dropped a mixtape entitled Viva La Hova, which effectively brings together “the lyrical elegance of Shawn Carter, the vocal magic of Chris Martin and the finely tuned instruments of Coldplay.”

By teaming with some of hip-hop’s top producers like 9th Wonder, The Kickdrums and Judah, Boogie and Urban bring the world an inspiring collection that all music fans can agree on. Finally, hip-hop heads and alternative enthusiasts can sit in a room and enjoy an album that truly transcends genre.

Sonically, the album works so damn well because it doesn’t compromise any of the artistry that Coldplay and Jay-Z bring to their tracks. There are no blends that alter Jay’s voice, and there are no cheesy drum patterns that outshine Coldplay’s anthemic instrumentation. Simply put, the producers knew not to mess with a great thing and instead mixed together the proven sounds of past collaborators.

From Jay’s heart wrenching reminiscing on “Lost Part 2” to his introspective paradox on “Science is Ignorant,” and his honest attempt at a love song on “What if We Cry,” listeners follow Jay’s storytelling over Coldplay’s hits as if they were tailor-made for each other.

Not since Dangermouse’s Grey Album has a mash-up been so innovative and successful. So it’s no wonder that just a week after its digital release, the tape’s received nods of approval from Jay and Coldplay and has big fans in everyone from John Mayer to Mike Shinoda.

For more info on the tape and download links, check out the project’s official site: www.vivalahova.com.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...