Volleyball

Canes split weekend series

The University of Miami women’s volleyball team lost at the Knight Sports Complex for the first time this season against Wake Forest on Sunday, after beating first place Duke Friday night.

The loss to Wake Forest (16-9, 7-6) snapped the Hurricanes’ 13-game win streak at home, which dated back to last season.

On Friday night Miami (20-5, 8-5) swept, then-No. 1 Duke (18-7, 9-4) by scores of 27-25, 25-19 and 25-23. This was their eleventh shutout of the season.

Libero Cassie Loessberg hustled all over the court and was tremendous defensively, as she recorded 17 digs.

“We are used to playing under pressure,” Loessberg said. “I think playing with so much intensity, so much focus, so much competiveness and so much composure helped us prevail and finish the game.”

The first set was very competitive as it featured 12 ties and six lead changes. Duke led 14-12, nut Miami called a timeout to regain their focus and never looked back.

Miami never trailed in the second set and won the third set as Loessberg’s serves propelled the Canes to their first 20-win season since 2003.

The win also affirmed that Miami is not intimidated by the mystique of Halloween, as they improved to 11-2 all-time on Halloween.

The Hurricanes were unable to complete a perfect weekend for Miami athletics. After winning Friday night, seeing their fellow student-athletes on the men’s and women’s basketball teams win their exhibition openers and witnessing the football team orchestrate a fourth quarter comeback, the volleyball team was unable to carry that momentum into Sunday afternoon’s match against Wake Forest.

After losing to Wake Forest in Winston Salem earlier in this season, the orange and green were unable to capture revenge on the Demon Deacons. Wake Forest swept Miami, 25-19, 25-22, 25-22.

Wake Forest became the first team this year to hit over .300 in a match against the Hurricanes.

Freshman phenom Lane Carico and sophomore sensation Katie Gallagher recorded their 12th and 11th double-doubles, respectively. Carico led the team with 14 kills and chipped in with 11 digs. Gallagher was strong in a losing effort, tallying 25 assists and 12 digs.

Miami is now tied for third place in the ACC, as six teams are separated by one or two games.

Head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch returns to her alma mater Friday night, as Miami battles Maryland at 7 p.m.

Justin Antweil

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...