Students convey political messages using Halloween costumes

This Halloween, college students nationwide have stashed the usual French maid or sexy firefighter costume in the closet to instead follow this year’s trend to dress up as the candidates of the 2008 presidential election.

“The election is not about who is better for our country anymore,” junior Daniella Meair said. “The candidates have turned into celebrity figures and students have taken an interest in them more so than ever before.”

Meair added that she thinks the popularity of political costumes is due to the personalities of the candidates.

Some students planning to wear presidential garb feel it will help to promote their political agenda.

“This election is a very emotional one and students feel strongly about it and want to get their voices heard, even if that means dressing up as [Republican presidential nominee Sen.] John McCain to do it,” junior Annette Medina said.

Republican vice-presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin is among the most popular costume choices, according to some costume stores.

“A lot of people asked about it. More people have asked about masks, especially of Sarah Palin. We have dressed people in suits with lapel pins and styling different wigs,” said Debbie Weisman of ABC Costume Shop in Miami.

According to online costume superstore buycostumes.com, 4,000 Sarah Palin masks have been sold to young adults around the country.

To imitate Palin’s token style does not come cheap, though. Costumes are typically priced at $70 or more, depending on if the buyer is willing to spend on an elaborate Palin wig.

Students who are on a budget this Halloween can go to ehow.com, which explains how to get that perfect costume without emptying your wallet.

Regardless of political preference, one fact is for sure this election season: Palin and Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama are in, while Playboy bunny and Fred Flintstone are out.

Costume Shops

Miami Twice – located on Bird Road

Party City – located on US1

Ricky’s – located on Lincoln Road

Spirit Halloween – located in the Sunset Shops

Halloween Events on Campus

Halloween Events

Halloween Ibis Ride to the Grove on Oct. 31

The Cosford Cinema is having a Halloween Weekend and showing spooky movies before and on Halloween

Sacred and Magical Trees – Gifford Arboretum, 5 p.m. Thursday

Hallelujah Party in the UC Ballroom C&D from 7 to 11 p.m. Friday

Jackie Smith

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...