South Miami Beat Notebook

Deli Lane and Sunset Tavern are hosting their 7th annual Halloween Bash Friday night, with the theme this year being United States presidents and first ladies. There will be games and contests, including a prize for the best costume. Miami’s own DJ Proof will be there starting at 11 p.m.

There was a ribbon-cutting ceremony at City Hall on Wednesday, officially opening up Sunset Drive from US 1 to S.W. 62nd Avenue. The construction, which has been the first phase of a project called Sunset Drive Improvements, included wider sidewalks, added landscaping, a bus shelter, a new clock tower and a fountain and fish pond in front of City Hall.

Nike Town in South Miami’s Sunset Place is offering a club for runners called the Nike Run Club. Runners can meet up at Nike Town and try out the newest Nike shoes while running between three and seven miles. This gives people the opportunity to learn new routes while getting a good workout. Meetings are available for runners of all levels and are held Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.

The 37th Annual South Miami Art Festival will take place Nov. 1-2 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and will be located on Sunset Drive between US 1 and Red Road. The free festival will include a variety of media as well as international food, live music and activities for children.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...