South Miami Beat Notebook

Deli Lane and Sunset Tavern are hosting their 7th annual Halloween Bash Friday night, with the theme this year being United States presidents and first ladies. There will be games and contests, including a prize for the best costume. Miami’s own DJ Proof will be there starting at 11 p.m.

There was a ribbon-cutting ceremony at City Hall on Wednesday, officially opening up Sunset Drive from US 1 to S.W. 62nd Avenue. The construction, which has been the first phase of a project called Sunset Drive Improvements, included wider sidewalks, added landscaping, a bus shelter, a new clock tower and a fountain and fish pond in front of City Hall.

Nike Town in South Miami’s Sunset Place is offering a club for runners called the Nike Run Club. Runners can meet up at Nike Town and try out the newest Nike shoes while running between three and seven miles. This gives people the opportunity to learn new routes while getting a good workout. Meetings are available for runners of all levels and are held Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.

The 37th Annual South Miami Art Festival will take place Nov. 1-2 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and will be located on Sunset Drive between US 1 and Red Road. The free festival will include a variety of media as well as international food, live music and activities for children.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...