South Miami Beat Notebook

Deli Lane and Sunset Tavern are hosting their 7th annual Halloween Bash Friday night, with the theme this year being United States presidents and first ladies. There will be games and contests, including a prize for the best costume. Miami’s own DJ Proof will be there starting at 11 p.m.

There was a ribbon-cutting ceremony at City Hall on Wednesday, officially opening up Sunset Drive from US 1 to S.W. 62nd Avenue. The construction, which has been the first phase of a project called Sunset Drive Improvements, included wider sidewalks, added landscaping, a bus shelter, a new clock tower and a fountain and fish pond in front of City Hall.

Nike Town in South Miami’s Sunset Place is offering a club for runners called the Nike Run Club. Runners can meet up at Nike Town and try out the newest Nike shoes while running between three and seven miles. This gives people the opportunity to learn new routes while getting a good workout. Meetings are available for runners of all levels and are held Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.

The 37th Annual South Miami Art Festival will take place Nov. 1-2 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and will be located on Sunset Drive between US 1 and Red Road. The free festival will include a variety of media as well as international food, live music and activities for children.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...