New soapbox to be venue for free student expression

On Tuesday, the University of Miami’s School of Communication debuted its Common Ground Courtyard Soapbox, a wooden box that members of the UM community can step on to and speak their mind.

From noon to 2 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the rest of the fall semester, students, staff or faculty can step onto the box and share their thoughts on any subject. Speakers will be allowed to say whatever they want, given that they follow standard university policy for public demonstrations and speech. No microphones or speakers will be used to amplify sound; participants will be restricted to bringing only what they can hold while on the soap box.

Sam Grogg, dean of the School of Communication, said in a message to SoC members earlier this week that the box is intended to promote the “First Amendment freedoms of the press, speech and belief.” Grogg encouraged everyone to take the opportunity to voice his or her beliefs, thoughts or ideas on any topic they feel strongly about.

Some SoC students, however, are unconvinced the box really will accomplish its goals.

“I’m not sure this is the right way to promote freedom of expression. I mean, first of all, who’s going to be listening? And if I was studying in the courtyard and someone was ‘expressing their opinion’ in the background, I’d be distracted and a little annoyed,” said junior Zach Woodward, a visual journalism major.

Kendra Zdravkovic

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...