New soapbox to be venue for free student expression

On Tuesday, the University of Miami’s School of Communication debuted its Common Ground Courtyard Soapbox, a wooden box that members of the UM community can step on to and speak their mind.

From noon to 2 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the rest of the fall semester, students, staff or faculty can step onto the box and share their thoughts on any subject. Speakers will be allowed to say whatever they want, given that they follow standard university policy for public demonstrations and speech. No microphones or speakers will be used to amplify sound; participants will be restricted to bringing only what they can hold while on the soap box.

Sam Grogg, dean of the School of Communication, said in a message to SoC members earlier this week that the box is intended to promote the “First Amendment freedoms of the press, speech and belief.” Grogg encouraged everyone to take the opportunity to voice his or her beliefs, thoughts or ideas on any topic they feel strongly about.

Some SoC students, however, are unconvinced the box really will accomplish its goals.

“I’m not sure this is the right way to promote freedom of expression. I mean, first of all, who’s going to be listening? And if I was studying in the courtyard and someone was ‘expressing their opinion’ in the background, I’d be distracted and a little annoyed,” said junior Zach Woodward, a visual journalism major.

Kendra Zdravkovic

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...