New soapbox to be venue for free student expression

On Tuesday, the University of Miami’s School of Communication debuted its Common Ground Courtyard Soapbox, a wooden box that members of the UM community can step on to and speak their mind.

From noon to 2 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the rest of the fall semester, students, staff or faculty can step onto the box and share their thoughts on any subject. Speakers will be allowed to say whatever they want, given that they follow standard university policy for public demonstrations and speech. No microphones or speakers will be used to amplify sound; participants will be restricted to bringing only what they can hold while on the soap box.

Sam Grogg, dean of the School of Communication, said in a message to SoC members earlier this week that the box is intended to promote the “First Amendment freedoms of the press, speech and belief.” Grogg encouraged everyone to take the opportunity to voice his or her beliefs, thoughts or ideas on any topic they feel strongly about.

Some SoC students, however, are unconvinced the box really will accomplish its goals.

“I’m not sure this is the right way to promote freedom of expression. I mean, first of all, who’s going to be listening? And if I was studying in the courtyard and someone was ‘expressing their opinion’ in the background, I’d be distracted and a little annoyed,” said junior Zach Woodward, a visual journalism major.

Kendra Zdravkovic

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...