Football

Much ado about nothing

Over the past couple weeks I have begun to hear rumblings of something I am not at all happy about. Early on, I was frustrated by one thought: Why can’t people let good be left good?

But then, I sat down with a cool head and I thought about it, and I came to my senses: These people were correct.

What am I talking about?

It’s quite simple actually: Robert Marve or Jacory Harris.

Before I get into this, though, I need to set a couple things straight.

By no means am I attempting to stir up controversy. That is the last thing I want.

I have no problem with where the Hurricane football team is right now, especially because I foresee the team and these players achieving great things in the near future.

Despite this, I feel it my duty to voice what I have been hearing.

This decision was by no means an easy one, but after much consideration, here we go: This team has two GOOD quarterbacks. And, both have the potential to be great, on the collegiate level.

What’s the problem then? The problem is exactly what I said: They are both good.

At different junctures this season, we have seen both of these guys make freshman mistakes, but, at other times, we have seen both Marve and Harris play beyond their years and lead the Hurricanes to a victory.

Harris had his shining moment two weeks ago against Duke, while Marve propelled the Canes to a hard-earned victory against Wake Forest.

Herein lies the problem, if you can even call it that.

There are people in Miami and Canes fans around the nation who believe Marve deserves and should retain his starting job. But there are also those who believe that Jacory is the better option for this team, and he needs to be given his fair shake.

Honestly, it’s a tossup.

Both are good quarterbacks and both are deserving, and the fans are beginning to voice this sentiment. This isn’t a problem, at least, unless both of these guys start thinking this way.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but it is a possibility. It’s also highly possible that this is a whole bunch of nothing, and I’m making something out of nothing.

In this regard, one has to believe Harris knew exactly what situation he was coming into.

The same goes for Marve. He had to have know that no one was just going to hand him the starting job.

Another factor in this equation is that both guys want to be here. Marve pulled his commitment to Alabama to come to Miami, and there is no questioning Harris’ love for Miami.

Still, one has to ask: What if all this is outweighed by each back’s feeling that he should be the starter?

What if this turns into something more? What if the odd man out decides he wants to transfer? At this point, are we sold on either of these two guys as the guy? I know both are good, but who needs to be the guy leading this team?

In my opinion, even if both these guys decide to stay, I don’t feel we have seen enough of either. And that is where we need to start.

We need to know who the best option for this team is, and we need to know soon.

This is not written in an effort to spark controversy, but I would be scared if either of these guys decided to leave.

Yes, I would be scared because I would like to have both, but I would be terrified of losing the guy who could have been.

I know that reading this has not made things clear, but that’s the point. In the end, all of this could be much ado about nothing, but one has to wonder…

Pravin Patel

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The start to spring practice this year came with a long delay for Xzavier Henderson. In addition to ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...