Movie Review: ‘The Secret Life of Bees’

Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees relates an account of the civil rights movement and proves that love can fashion among anyone.

Lily Owens is haunted by thoughts of her late mother, who died tragically when Lily was a young child. Living with her abusive father only seems to make matters worse for the 14-year-old. Lily gains enough ambition to leave her home with her African-American nanny, Rosaleen, in hopes of finding the answers to life-long curiosities.

As the two make their journey, they are taken in by the Boatwrights – August, May and June.  Lily discovers the legend of Black Madonna Honey and finds comfort in truth’s legacy.

Pain-stricken Lily, played by Dakota Fanning, embraces viewers with her big blue feeling eyes. With her southern twang and a ratty ponytail, one cannot help but to sympathize with the young girl. Miss August Boatwright is yet another bold, embracing role for Queen Latifah, while both Alicia Keys (Miss June) and Jennifer Hudson (Rosaleen) are able to contribute their musical talents to the film’s story.

Although it may be seen as a young girl’s unrealistic fantasy, The Secret Life of Bees is a heartwarming story.

A film made with the contributions of Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith, The Secret Life of Bees shows that all things in life not only want to be loved, but deserve to be loved. Bring your girlfriends, sisters, mothers and daughters and relate to the many relationships in The Secret Life of Bees, for it is sure to hit hive.

Stefanie Schartel

Contributing EDGE Writer

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...