Matt Damon urges to ‘drag friends to polls’ at Early Vote for Change rally

Hundreds of students forgot about classes Monday afternoon to watch actor Matt Damon host an Early Vote for Change rally for Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama.

The rally began at noon at the UC Rock on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus.

The actor, who has become known for his outspoken disapproval for Republican vice-presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin, gave a brief speech endorsing Obama for president and encouraging the crowd to vote early.

“This is a historic election. This is the election of our lifetime where the most is at stake,” Damon said. “Go out and get your friends and drag them to the polls.”

Even students who are not eligible to vote in the election attended the event.

“I’m here because I’m interested in politics and thought this was a good opportunity to learn more about the American culture,” said Matthew Walker, an exchange student from Australia.

“And I came because I have a bit of a man crush on Matt Damon,” said Walker’s friend Sam Sloane, also from Australia.

Meanwhile, buses parked at nearby Stanford Circle were available to transport early voters to Coral Gables Library, UM’s early voting site.

Kim Bowen, a sophomore, jumped at the convenient opportunity to cast an early ballot.

“To say that this is a really important election is an understatement. I just want to make sure that my voice is heard. You never know what might come up on Tuesday,” said Bowen.

Damon briefly explained his admiration for Obama’s plans regarding early childhood education and criticized President George W. Bush’s implementation of the No Child Left Behind Act.

“These teachers are being forced to teach to a test. I was a horrible test taker,” said Damon, who is a graduate of Harvard University. “It’s all bullshit. The system is broken.”

Damon also supported Obama’s plans to provide universal health care and expressed his confidence in the senator’s foreign policy judgment.

“What we’re really trying to do is get a sense of what their decision making process is,” said Damon, referring to the candidates.

“[Obama’s] judgment, demeanor, grace under pressure and willingness to listen to people around him will make him the best president to ever serve the United States,” said Damon.

Carmen Johnson, a senior, said she was supposed to be studying for an exam but took a break to listen to the actor.

Johnson, a poll worker and volunteer for Get Out The Vote said, “I don’t care who you vote for, I just hope people get on those shuttles and vote early. There are no excuses this year.”

Liana Kozlowski

Contributing Writer

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...