Letters to the Editor

In response to Dan Buyanovsky

Dear Mr. Buyanovsky,

I am very disappointed at your ignorance as to what makes for a good performance. As the EDGE editor I would expect you to realize that being mainstream or famous does not instantly ensure that you will have an entertaining performance. Rather, it is energy and talent that provide entertainment, and I would be absolutely astonished if you were to disagree that N*E*R*D did not explode on that stage with an insane amount of energy, and I would undoubtedly call for your resignation as EDGE editor if you denied that N*E*R*D was not incredibly talented and innovative.

Additionally, there is no artist that is famous enough to make every single UM student happy. I’m not sure if you’re aware, but we have an incredibly diverse student population who more than likely enjoy all different types of music. I can guarantee you that if T.I. or Chris Brown played next year’s homecoming concert there would still be people leaving the concert discontented.

Now I’d like to make it clear that I am not N*E*R*D’s biggest fan, in fact I only own one of their CDs, but please consider what would happen if Chris Brown or Kanye West (infinitely more famous to be sure) had played at homecoming. Would either of them have encouraged crowd surfing and then pulled these people on stage and danced with them throughout the concert? Would anyone more famous have been shouting “U” over and over and been so intent on arousing our school spirit? I doubt it.

I definitely agree with you that N*E*R*D is not the most famous band around. But they put on a great show. It was high-energy, incredibly entertaining and, in my opinion, they put way more effort into this show than any other artist who may have been more famous would have. And most importantly, I’d like to point out that the homecoming concert is completely free to students, so what right do you have complaining that N*E*R*D is not famous enough? I mean come on Dan, stop being so negative and appreciate what your fellow students are accomplishing for your entertainment.

-Danielle Annon
Sophomore, International Studies

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...