Helping Invisible Children become a little bit more noticeable

Five minutes.

That’s it.

That’s all it took.

Five minutes.

On Wednesday afternoon, a group of over 120 students gathered on the University Green and made a difference.

“I overheard that this event was going on, and it piqued my interest,” senior Peter Allen said. “I like to involve myself in organizations like these, which devote themselves to a cause. And, honestly, things like this take only a little bit of time but make a big impact.”

“Focus on Uganda,” an event co-sponsored by Invisible Children and the African Students Union, strived to create awareness about the child soldier issue in Uganda, where children are being abducted and forced to carry arms for a rebel cause.

“I heard about the event through an e-mail sent out by the United Black Students,” freshman Jackie Sims said. “I am big on Africa and creating awareness about what is happening there. It seems that the U.S. and the world do not do enough for the various issues in Africa. It makes me happy that we are doing something here on campus.”

The event focused on taking a photograph from on top of the Richter Library of students and faculty members standing in the shape of Africa, with a “U,” again out of people, standing over Uganda.

“I think this was a great idea to get people involved and create awareness,” senior Nicole Budzinski said. “An event like this encourages people to take notice.”

There seems to be no doubt that students are taking notice of Invisible Children and the cause they represent. For an organization that had a very minute member base last year, this organization has made a major impact on campus this year.

“Yes, I know about Invisible Children,” senior Mike Sanchez said. “I feel that just about everyone does. They have had a few screenings and some meetings, aside from the general awareness they are spreading through their patches.”

The goal of the organization is to raise awareness and raise funds to address the child soldier problem in Uganda. To this end, the organization is involved in a program known as Schools for Schools.

“Our organization is paired with a school in Uganda,” said junior Chelsea Werner, the vice president of Invisible Children. “What we do is raise funds, and all the funds we raise go toward our [partner]school. By doing this, we are providing children in Uganda the opportunity to go to school and have books and other such necessities. In this way, we can attempt to keep these children away from being abducted and forced to carry arms.”

Wednesday’s event was yet another step forward for the organization, as it satisfied both goals the organization has. The event helped in their effort to raise awareness, and it afforded them the opportunity to raise funds for their Schools for Schools program, as Invisible Children plans to sell copies of the pictures they took.

“Overall, I think the event was very successful,” Werner said. “Besides being successful based on the sheer numbers that came out, the event was a success because the people who came out cared. It is nice to see people who are aware of the issues and genuinely care for them.”

Pravin Patel

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...