Film Review: ‘Saw V’

Its authenticity comes from the visceral gore – human blood letting loose from head to toe and entrails being torn asunder. But the elaborate traps designed by Jigsaw to test his victims’ willingness to live are really what make the Saw franchise, and Saw V continues to carry the torch.

Jigsaw, played by Tobin Bell, is once again spectacular in his work as the legendary killer. Bell is able to bring a chilling and philosophical performance to life, and the terror he instills brings this series together.

As Saw IV left off, Detective Mark Hoffman was a secret advocate for Jigsaw’s work. Saw V comes with a straightforward story, unlike Saw IV, and the writers cleverly hook together the previous Saw movies. However, Saw V is less grueling than the previous installments.

This picture starts swinging from the beginning. Twenty-two minutes into the film and you’re already into multiple-person tests. From there, flashbacks tie up loose ends that left viewers with questions from the previous films. Saw lovers will embrace the chance to see the old stuff once again.

One problem this movie encounters is Detective Hoffman. The bar is set too high for the character, played by Costas Mandylor, to be the next creepy Jigsaw. Mandylor doesn’t grab the attention of the viewer and is too dull to be Jigsaw. This is a big letdown.

This horror movie does take an enormous leap in the franchise though. Saw V goes into more detail than the last few Saw movies; the focus is more directly on dialogue than the actual traps. But Saw V does deliver the goods for those only see Saw because of the gruesome murder devices. The set traps are better here than the last two sequels, resulting in some vivid and memorable death scenes. Just like Jigsaw always says, “Oh yes, there will be blood.”

Saw V has a shocking ending that will have you grasping for more Saw.

3 out of 4 stars

Lelan LeDoux

Contributing EDGE Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...