Film Review: ‘Saw V’

Its authenticity comes from the visceral gore – human blood letting loose from head to toe and entrails being torn asunder. But the elaborate traps designed by Jigsaw to test his victims’ willingness to live are really what make the Saw franchise, and Saw V continues to carry the torch.

Jigsaw, played by Tobin Bell, is once again spectacular in his work as the legendary killer. Bell is able to bring a chilling and philosophical performance to life, and the terror he instills brings this series together.

As Saw IV left off, Detective Mark Hoffman was a secret advocate for Jigsaw’s work. Saw V comes with a straightforward story, unlike Saw IV, and the writers cleverly hook together the previous Saw movies. However, Saw V is less grueling than the previous installments.

This picture starts swinging from the beginning. Twenty-two minutes into the film and you’re already into multiple-person tests. From there, flashbacks tie up loose ends that left viewers with questions from the previous films. Saw lovers will embrace the chance to see the old stuff once again.

One problem this movie encounters is Detective Hoffman. The bar is set too high for the character, played by Costas Mandylor, to be the next creepy Jigsaw. Mandylor doesn’t grab the attention of the viewer and is too dull to be Jigsaw. This is a big letdown.

This horror movie does take an enormous leap in the franchise though. Saw V goes into more detail than the last few Saw movies; the focus is more directly on dialogue than the actual traps. But Saw V does deliver the goods for those only see Saw because of the gruesome murder devices. The set traps are better here than the last two sequels, resulting in some vivid and memorable death scenes. Just like Jigsaw always says, “Oh yes, there will be blood.”

Saw V has a shocking ending that will have you grasping for more Saw.

3 out of 4 stars

Lelan LeDoux

Contributing EDGE Writer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...