Failed boat burning under investigation, Homecoming Committee absolved of fault

Hopes of a boat up in flames on a moonlit Lake Osceola were quickly extinguished as Canes realized that the boat burning ceremony, a University of Miami tradition, had failed at Homecoming 2008 on Friday.

Has a failed boat burning ceremony ever occurred in UM history?

“Not that I am aware of,” said Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane.

The tradition states that if the mast breaks before the boat sinks, UM will win the homecoming football game. The Canes, however, defeated Wake Forest on Saturday despite the failed ceremony.

On Sunday, the Office of Media Relations released a statement notifying the community that the boat burning incident is under investigation and that “preliminary indications are that the Homecoming Committee and staff did everything possible to ensure a successful boat burning tradition.” The statement added that “the student-led portion of the tradition appears to be without fault.”

“When I became aware that the boat didn’t burn, I got on [the case]right away,” Whitely said. “The Homecoming Committee did everything exactly how it was laid out.”

Members of the Homecoming Committee could not be reached for comment, but Whitely said there are no updates on the investigation as of yet.

“We’re further investigating exactly what occurred,” Whitely said. “It’s a very unusual occurrence that led to the boat not being burned.”

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...