CD Review: Ray LeMontagne – ‘Gossip in the Grain’

Only four years ago, folk singer-songwriter Ray LaMontagne was bearded and dirt poor. On Tuesday, the now-popular but still bearded LaMontagne released his third studio album, Gossip in the Grain.

LaMontagne’s story, a tale for all aspiring artists, began after barely graduating from high school. Inspired by Stephen Stills’ “Treetop Flyer” one early morning, LaMontagne quit his job at a shoe factory to pursue his passion for music. His shabby clothes and mountain man appearance perfectly embody the raspy, soulful voice that fans all over the world recognize from the first note. His first album, Trouble (2004), sold over 400,000 copies worldwide, with the title song of the album peaking at No. 5 in the UK in 2006. LaMontagne continued his songwriting, releasing another heartfelt album, Till the Sun Turns Black, in 2006.

While many fans felt his sophomore production did not live up to the same standard set by the warm, earthy sounds of Trouble, LaMontagne found a way to expand his instrumentation, including a horn section and string section.

Gossip in the Grain is yet another expansion by the husky-voiced musician. While some songs, including “Let It Be Me” and “Winter Birds,” hold true to LaMontagne’s classic emotion-filled folk, others feature his tendency to explore music combinations. From the bluegrass “Hey Me, Hey Mama” to the upbeat rocker “Meg White” and the jazz-inspired “You Are the Best Thing,” LaMontagne manages to incorporate rich lyrics that drip with meaning and passion with his soothing voice.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

Brittany Patterson

Contributing Sports Writer

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine students hung 3,000 posters in Wynwood last weekend to ...

Life on Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas is striving to get back to normal, but the scars of Hurric ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Spots are filling up fast for the upcoming Gino DiMare Exposure Camp on January 18-19, 2020. ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...