CD Review: Bloc Party’s ‘Intimacy’

High expectations are hard to live up to.

After the success of their first album, Silent Alarm, Bloc Party struggled through good but not great reviews for their sophomore try, A Weekend in the City.

Many missed post-punk hits à la “Banquet” and “Helicopter” which were replaced by the softer sounds found on cuts like “SXRT.”

That’s why it came as a surprise 18 months later when the band pulled a Radiohead, announcing the release in of its third album, Intimacy, on Aug. 21 in the MP3 file format.

Kele Okereke and company flex their Guitar Hero riffs and lyrical genius while experimenting with electronic and Big Beat elements this time around.

As a conceptual album, Okereke leaves politics and everyday life in East London behind to focus on a past relationship and all its stages through sometimes surprising references.

For example, the band alludes to mythology often, as in “Trojan Horse” – a song that works with lines such as “You used to take your watch off before we made love/You didn’t want to share our time with anyone.”

Album opener “Ares” misses with its experimental fashion and chants of “War, war, war war/I want to declare war.” Okereke’s voice ends up sounding like loud noise instead of its usual unique self.

The album’s best and most somber songs are easily “Biko,” “Signs” and “Ion Square,” which deal with loss and death in music box-like fashion thanks to the use of glockenspiels.

“Halo” and “One Month Off” speak of lust and its loss over time in the band’s signature punk form.

Singles “Flux” and “Mercury” do take some getting used to, but they’re the most danceable tracks and are fun to listen to in the car.

It’s the best of both Bloc Party worlds on Intimacy, which can never be a bad thing.

Rating: 3.5 out of 4 stars

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...