UM students compete to perform with Grammy Award-winning Bruce Hornsby

TRY OUT: On Wednesday, Festival Miami 2008 featured a songwriter’s showcase, where Quinn Carson sang an original. LAUREN YOTHERS// Hurricane Staff.

On Wednesday night at the University of Miami’s Maurice Gusman Concert Hall, student songwriters shared a sense of nervousness and excitement as they performed their original music at the Songwriter’s Showcase, an event for students to compete for a chance to open at Grammy-award winning musician Bruce Hornsby’s concert.

Out of 12 performing acts, junior Elaine Maltezos was declared the winner. Maltezos sang an original song, “My Arms Are Not My Own,” playing acoustic guitar with accompaniment from friends.

“I was really surprised,” Maltezos said. “I didn’t really think about it as a competition.”

Maltezos said that she was more excited to perform than nervous.

“Most of the time I let myself make up at least one line. If I’m playing with people that know the song well, I sometimes will make up an entire verse,” she said said.

Out of 25 candidates, the 12 performing acts were selected by Cat 5 Music Publishing, the first student-run music publishing company in the U.S., which is primarily operated by UM students in the music business program

The second and third runners-up were Jahfe, a reggae band that includes three UM students, and junior Bridget Davis.

“It feels good to be recognized,” Davis said, adding that her winning song “Beneath The Oak Tree” is a story about jilted lovers. Davis said that it is important for songwriters to take the opportunity to showcase their work.

The songwriters received feedback from an experienced panel of judges. The judges included Hornsby, Ramon Arias from PIER Music, Leslie Ahrens from EMI Music Publishing and UM faculty member John Redmond, who teaches International Music Publishing.

Nicole Warling, a professor in the Frost School of Music, was excited to see five of her students perform their songs.

Ten of the 12 performances were by students from the University of Miami. Performers Marc Solomon and Cory Duke, both non-UM students, discussed the importance of showcasing their work. Solomon drew the inspiration for his song, “Isabella” from real-life experience.

“The song is about a small town girl from Puerto Rico that I met at a festival and hooked up with,” Solomon said. “The real girl’s name is Jenna and she was a model.”

Solomon and Duke have played together for seven years and met at a UM summer music camp. They both teach music at Pines Music.

One of the emcees of the evening and the director of Cat 5, Eric Hafner, found it hard to choose a favorite performance.

“The acts were all so good and so different. It’s really hard to compare them,” Hafner said.

Reynaldo Sanchez, Cat 5’s faculty adviser and a professor at the Frost School of Music, worked with Hornsby to come up with the idea for the Songwriter’s Showcase. Sanchez explained that the showcase will become an annual event for Festival Miami.

“We are really trying to foster a performing songwriter community,” Sanchez said. “The talent level in this school and this community is really amazing.”

Some of the songwriters will be performing at 8 p.m. at the Coral Gables Books and Books on the first and second Saturdays of November.

Lauren Yothers

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...