Sweat, weed and drowned hippopotamuses a Homecoming Howl do not make

What makes a good homecoming show? Is it copious amounts of weed and alcohol? Is it mosh pits or crowd surfing? Perhaps the secret behind a great concert at the U is enough compiled crowd sweat to drown three hippopotamuses.

Well, Friday’s Homecoming Howl concert with Kidz in the Hall and N*E*R*D had all of those things covered, but still lacked a quality that would have had students walking away from the University Green contented and fully satisfied.

For weeks leading up to the show, there was a huge buzz around campus and students simply couldn’t wait to get more inebriated than they did on prom night and check out the seemingly upbeat and exciting N*E*R*D.

Instead, those excited fans were provided with a concert at which the opening act outshined the headliner. Somehow, the featured act took the stage and wasted the initial crowd excitement, paralyzing it with an excruciatingly boring set that had more people walking away than bopping their heads. Just fifteen minutes into their performance, hundreds of students strolled away from the crowd with their heads and spirits dragging, as if they’d been told Christmahanakwanzaka had been canceled.

So, in the aftermath of a show that had many feeling simply “bleh,” I was left wondering – what makes a good Homecoming show, and what sort of performers fit the bill?

First off, we need an act we’ve all heard of and can easily recognize. It seems as though UM kids listen to songs like “Whatever You Like” more often than the somber and not-so-catchy “Love Bomb” by N*E*R*D. And that’s not a bad thing. I’ll admit T.I.’s sugar-daddy anthem has a play count over 20 in my iTunes, and in all honesty if I’d heard the King of the South singing it on Friday I would’ve danced my sweaty Reggie Miller (retro alert!) jersey off.

Next, we need an act with enough energy and excitement to match or even exceed ours. As college kids, we’re naturally happy and joyous about most things – and if you throw in some alcohol and drugs, there are few things that wouldn’t make us jolly concertgoers. So if performers can’t make their enthusiasm resonate with a crowd of thousands, we’re left hanging high and dry and ready to further the evening’s festivities elsewhere. Just weeks ago, when Wyclef joined Jay-Z at a free show for Obama in downtown Miami, the former Fugee had just about everyone swinging articles of clothing over their head. And that’s the sort of zeal we need!

Finally, the U needs an act whose sound can resonate at a venue like the Green. This seems like a given, but it’s pretty apparent that unless you were in the pit directly in front of the stage, N*E*R*D’s sound was just faint enough that you wouldn’t be drawn in to stay and watch. Artists who have anthems and big records can sonically draw in listeners from afar, even if they don’t recognize the songs. And with an outdoor show like the Homecoming Howl, that’s an essential component.

If you were at this year’s Homecoming Howl, you may have left fulfilled, disappointed or too sloppy to know the difference, but there’s no doubt that next year’s show should get a universal consensus that it was the absolute shit, in a good way. If someone listens to the priceless advice above, that shouldn’t be an issue and perhaps next year we’ll all be rocking with the likes of Kanye, Chris Brown or another fitting and worthy performer.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...