Redistributing wealth is unfair

During the one and only vice-presidential debate, Sen. Joe Biden, the Democratic candidate, defended his ticket’s taxing policies as a matter of “fairness.” Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, criticized the Democrats’ plan for taxation as being a “redistribution of wealth” which refers to the transfer of wealth from some individuals to the larger group.

We’re all college students on a budget, working hard and studying so that when we graduate we can get a reputable job with a decent salary. Upon graduation, some will receive a better salary than others based on skill, knowledge, your degree and the fact that perhaps you went to graduate school. It’s only logical that someone who goes to medical school and graduates with honors gets a higher starting salary than someone who studied to be a teacher or a journalist. The doctor may have a salary of $255,000. Under Sen. Obama’s plan, the student who studied over eight years, made greater sacrifices, and went through numerous internships and residencies will be taxed at a much higher rate than his or her classmates in order to be “fair.” Basically, under Sen. Obama’s platform, hard work will not be rewarded. It will be punished.

Many argue that the majority of the population will benefit from these policies, but many hardworking Americans will suffer as a result of the many loafers and free-riders the government will support at the expense of others’ hard work and dedication. This is the definition of unfairness and mirrors beliefs held by many socialists. Socialists believe that capitalism concentrates wealth and power into the hands of few and leaves the majority at a disadvantage. However, our country was based on a “free market” system. Our country’s been able to maximize production, profit and efficiently run our economy under these policies.

Now, we’re on the verge of change – changing the fundamentals of our values and beliefs. The American dream is that you can come to this country, persevere and reap the benefits of your work. Marva Collins once said, “Success doesn’t come to you… you go to it.” Americans treasure the values of hard work, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. By drastically changing the taxation policies, you threaten to change those beliefs. Instead of teaching school children to work hard to realize their dreams, we will tell them to participate minimally because, in our economy, those who work harder and make more will have to pay the price to support those who work less. Before you vote for change, think about the results this change may bring.

Victoria San Pedro

Contributing Columnist

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...