Redistributing wealth is unfair

During the one and only vice-presidential debate, Sen. Joe Biden, the Democratic candidate, defended his ticket’s taxing policies as a matter of “fairness.” Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, criticized the Democrats’ plan for taxation as being a “redistribution of wealth” which refers to the transfer of wealth from some individuals to the larger group.

We’re all college students on a budget, working hard and studying so that when we graduate we can get a reputable job with a decent salary. Upon graduation, some will receive a better salary than others based on skill, knowledge, your degree and the fact that perhaps you went to graduate school. It’s only logical that someone who goes to medical school and graduates with honors gets a higher starting salary than someone who studied to be a teacher or a journalist. The doctor may have a salary of $255,000. Under Sen. Obama’s plan, the student who studied over eight years, made greater sacrifices, and went through numerous internships and residencies will be taxed at a much higher rate than his or her classmates in order to be “fair.” Basically, under Sen. Obama’s platform, hard work will not be rewarded. It will be punished.

Many argue that the majority of the population will benefit from these policies, but many hardworking Americans will suffer as a result of the many loafers and free-riders the government will support at the expense of others’ hard work and dedication. This is the definition of unfairness and mirrors beliefs held by many socialists. Socialists believe that capitalism concentrates wealth and power into the hands of few and leaves the majority at a disadvantage. However, our country was based on a “free market” system. Our country’s been able to maximize production, profit and efficiently run our economy under these policies.

Now, we’re on the verge of change – changing the fundamentals of our values and beliefs. The American dream is that you can come to this country, persevere and reap the benefits of your work. Marva Collins once said, “Success doesn’t come to you… you go to it.” Americans treasure the values of hard work, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. By drastically changing the taxation policies, you threaten to change those beliefs. Instead of teaching school children to work hard to realize their dreams, we will tell them to participate minimally because, in our economy, those who work harder and make more will have to pay the price to support those who work less. Before you vote for change, think about the results this change may bring.

Victoria San Pedro

Contributing Columnist

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...