Redistributing wealth is unfair

During the one and only vice-presidential debate, Sen. Joe Biden, the Democratic candidate, defended his ticket’s taxing policies as a matter of “fairness.” Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, criticized the Democrats’ plan for taxation as being a “redistribution of wealth” which refers to the transfer of wealth from some individuals to the larger group.

We’re all college students on a budget, working hard and studying so that when we graduate we can get a reputable job with a decent salary. Upon graduation, some will receive a better salary than others based on skill, knowledge, your degree and the fact that perhaps you went to graduate school. It’s only logical that someone who goes to medical school and graduates with honors gets a higher starting salary than someone who studied to be a teacher or a journalist. The doctor may have a salary of $255,000. Under Sen. Obama’s plan, the student who studied over eight years, made greater sacrifices, and went through numerous internships and residencies will be taxed at a much higher rate than his or her classmates in order to be “fair.” Basically, under Sen. Obama’s platform, hard work will not be rewarded. It will be punished.

Many argue that the majority of the population will benefit from these policies, but many hardworking Americans will suffer as a result of the many loafers and free-riders the government will support at the expense of others’ hard work and dedication. This is the definition of unfairness and mirrors beliefs held by many socialists. Socialists believe that capitalism concentrates wealth and power into the hands of few and leaves the majority at a disadvantage. However, our country was based on a “free market” system. Our country’s been able to maximize production, profit and efficiently run our economy under these policies.

Now, we’re on the verge of change – changing the fundamentals of our values and beliefs. The American dream is that you can come to this country, persevere and reap the benefits of your work. Marva Collins once said, “Success doesn’t come to you… you go to it.” Americans treasure the values of hard work, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. By drastically changing the taxation policies, you threaten to change those beliefs. Instead of teaching school children to work hard to realize their dreams, we will tell them to participate minimally because, in our economy, those who work harder and make more will have to pay the price to support those who work less. Before you vote for change, think about the results this change may bring.

Victoria San Pedro

Contributing Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...