Redistributing wealth is unfair

During the one and only vice-presidential debate, Sen. Joe Biden, the Democratic candidate, defended his ticket’s taxing policies as a matter of “fairness.” Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, criticized the Democrats’ plan for taxation as being a “redistribution of wealth” which refers to the transfer of wealth from some individuals to the larger group.

We’re all college students on a budget, working hard and studying so that when we graduate we can get a reputable job with a decent salary. Upon graduation, some will receive a better salary than others based on skill, knowledge, your degree and the fact that perhaps you went to graduate school. It’s only logical that someone who goes to medical school and graduates with honors gets a higher starting salary than someone who studied to be a teacher or a journalist. The doctor may have a salary of $255,000. Under Sen. Obama’s plan, the student who studied over eight years, made greater sacrifices, and went through numerous internships and residencies will be taxed at a much higher rate than his or her classmates in order to be “fair.” Basically, under Sen. Obama’s platform, hard work will not be rewarded. It will be punished.

Many argue that the majority of the population will benefit from these policies, but many hardworking Americans will suffer as a result of the many loafers and free-riders the government will support at the expense of others’ hard work and dedication. This is the definition of unfairness and mirrors beliefs held by many socialists. Socialists believe that capitalism concentrates wealth and power into the hands of few and leaves the majority at a disadvantage. However, our country was based on a “free market” system. Our country’s been able to maximize production, profit and efficiently run our economy under these policies.

Now, we’re on the verge of change – changing the fundamentals of our values and beliefs. The American dream is that you can come to this country, persevere and reap the benefits of your work. Marva Collins once said, “Success doesn’t come to you… you go to it.” Americans treasure the values of hard work, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. By drastically changing the taxation policies, you threaten to change those beliefs. Instead of teaching school children to work hard to realize their dreams, we will tell them to participate minimally because, in our economy, those who work harder and make more will have to pay the price to support those who work less. Before you vote for change, think about the results this change may bring.

Victoria San Pedro

Contributing Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...