Bomb squad detonates suspicious package found at Hillel building

Photo by Matt Wallach // Hurricane Staff

UPDATED 1:34 A.M. 10/27/08

A suspicious package was found Sunday night at the Hillel building on campus, causing police to shut down Stanford Drive and call the Miami-Dade bomb squad, which detonated the package.

Dan Yagudin, the student leadership director at Hillel, found the object on a first floor soda machine and called campus police at 8:40 p.m. University of Miami police responded within two minutes, he said, and were followed in the next 20 minutes by Coral Gables police.

The bomb squad arrived around 10 p.m. after a bomb-sniffing dog searched the building.

Yagudin said the package was left by an “older” woman who has visited before and previously dropped off newspaper clippings.

Police do not think she is a student and had no further information at the time of posting.

This is first first time such an incident has occurred in at least the past three years, according to Hillel staff.

“It’s nice to know that the university takes threats to its religious minorities seriously,” Yagudin said.

Besides about a dozen police vehicles on scene, an ambulance was also on the scene as a precautionary measure, said one Coral Gables officer.

There were a few people walking around the area, but it was mostly cleared, with yellow caution tape running from Hillel to Ponce de Leon Boulevard to the Stanford Drive gatehouse.

Editor in Chief Matthew Bunch reported from the scene.

Greg Linch

Former editor in chief (2007-2008)

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...