Aborted boat burning, well-attended concert mark Hurricane Howl 2008

Grammy Award-winner Pharrell Williams, the frontman of N*E*R*D, performs for a large crowd at Hurricane Howl 2008. DANNY BULL // Hurricane Staff

In 2007, Hurricane Howl was marred by a performance abruptly halted. In 2008, the concert was well attended and received, but it was a decades-old tradition that had the problem.

After a “technical difficulty,” the homecoming boat-burning was canceled, leaving hundreds of spectators left with questions and melted candles.

The masses who gathered around the lake migrated to the green in front of the Richter Library, where rap duo Kidz in the Hall opened for funk-rock group N*E*R*D. The band repeatedly egged on a “U” chant, as students began crowd surfing. The band ended their set with “She Wants to Move,” as dozens of audience members danced on the stage.

There was one injury reported after the concert, which brought Coral Gables emergency personnel to the library area. The wound was not believed to be serious.

Matthew Bunch

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...