Aborted boat burning, well-attended concert mark Hurricane Howl 2008

Grammy Award-winner Pharrell Williams, the frontman of N*E*R*D, performs for a large crowd at Hurricane Howl 2008. DANNY BULL // Hurricane Staff

In 2007, Hurricane Howl was marred by a performance abruptly halted. In 2008, the concert was well attended and received, but it was a decades-old tradition that had the problem.

After a “technical difficulty,” the homecoming boat-burning was canceled, leaving hundreds of spectators left with questions and melted candles.

The masses who gathered around the lake migrated to the green in front of the Richter Library, where rap duo Kidz in the Hall opened for funk-rock group N*E*R*D. The band repeatedly egged on a “U” chant, as students began crowd surfing. The band ended their set with “She Wants to Move,” as dozens of audience members danced on the stage.

There was one injury reported after the concert, which brought Coral Gables emergency personnel to the library area. The wound was not believed to be serious.

Matthew Bunch

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...