Aborted boat burning, well-attended concert mark Hurricane Howl 2008

Grammy Award-winner Pharrell Williams, the frontman of N*E*R*D, performs for a large crowd at Hurricane Howl 2008. DANNY BULL // Hurricane Staff

In 2007, Hurricane Howl was marred by a performance abruptly halted. In 2008, the concert was well attended and received, but it was a decades-old tradition that had the problem.

After a “technical difficulty,” the homecoming boat-burning was canceled, leaving hundreds of spectators left with questions and melted candles.

The masses who gathered around the lake migrated to the green in front of the Richter Library, where rap duo Kidz in the Hall opened for funk-rock group N*E*R*D. The band repeatedly egged on a “U” chant, as students began crowd surfing. The band ended their set with “She Wants to Move,” as dozens of audience members danced on the stage.

There was one injury reported after the concert, which brought Coral Gables emergency personnel to the library area. The wound was not believed to be serious.

Matthew Bunch

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...