Aborted boat burning, well-attended concert mark Hurricane Howl 2008

Grammy Award-winner Pharrell Williams, the frontman of N*E*R*D, performs for a large crowd at Hurricane Howl 2008. DANNY BULL // Hurricane Staff

In 2007, Hurricane Howl was marred by a performance abruptly halted. In 2008, the concert was well attended and received, but it was a decades-old tradition that had the problem.

After a “technical difficulty,” the homecoming boat-burning was canceled, leaving hundreds of spectators left with questions and melted candles.

The masses who gathered around the lake migrated to the green in front of the Richter Library, where rap duo Kidz in the Hall opened for funk-rock group N*E*R*D. The band repeatedly egged on a “U” chant, as students began crowd surfing. The band ended their set with “She Wants to Move,” as dozens of audience members danced on the stage.

There was one injury reported after the concert, which brought Coral Gables emergency personnel to the library area. The wound was not believed to be serious.

Matthew Bunch

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...