Talking hot grandmas with Clark Duke, star of ‘Sex Drive’

Amish sex, bodily functions mixed with sex, running naked through fields after sex. Given the various scenes in actor Clark Duke’s new film, it’s no wonder the movie is titled Sex Drive. The film’s tale about a road trip for two high school buddies and their best chick friend is bringing on the giggles for moviegoers across the nation. The Miami Hurricane caught up with Clark Duke just minutes after the Miami screening of Sex Drive on Oct. 8. From Duke’s ways with the ladies to his next movie with Eddie Murphy, nothing was off limits. 

THE MIAMI HURRICANE: You just got hit on by a couple really hot grandmas.

Clark Duke: I did. I told them to wait outside.

TMH: So are we holding you up?

CD: No, they’re waiting. They’ve got nothing to do.  

TMH: If you had to describe this movie to someone who hasn’t seen the trailer or anything, what would you say?

CD: I would say it’s just a really fun teen sex comedy that I think appeals to a broader audience than what the poster might imply. I would encourage anyone who likes comedies to go watch it.  

TMH: The audience was laughing the entire time. It’s reminiscent of some teen comidies, but something was different about it. What would you say influenced this movie?

CD: This one is influenced a lot by the great ‘80s teen comedies. The John Hughes movies, the John Cusack movies from the ‘80s more than any current stuff. 

TMH: After seeing the audience’s reaction, what do you guys think you have on your hands here?

CD: I’m just so glad that people like the movie. Our only goal throughout the whole thing was to make a funny movie. Based on the audience, I think we did. I can’t hope for a whole lot more than that.  

TMH: You told me that you guys shot this in South Florida. How did you make South Florida look so hillbilly? I mean, have you been to South Beach?

CD: I have. I loved it down here. We [shot here]for three months. I had a blast, but we had to CGI out a lot of palm trees. That was the only big hold-up.  

TMH: Why did you shoot down here, out of all the places to shoot?

CD: I think just the variety of locations. I think Florida gives a really big tax break to film productions is the real answer.  

TMH: You have a movie coming out with Eddie Murphy next year.

CD: Yeah, it’s called A Thousand Words. I play Eddie’s assistant. Eddie has a curse put on him so he only has a thousand words to say before he dies. He can’t talk for most of the film, so I have to interpret for him and figure out what he wants me to do.

Nick Maslow

Of the Staff

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...