Movie Review: ‘W.’

W.

W.

W. is the story of the prodigal son that had no idea what he wanted to do with his life and just happened into politics. President-obsessed director Oliver Stone (JFK, Nixon) follows the at times charming and frequently dimwitted George W. Bush, played by Josh Brolin, from the hallowed halls of Yale to beleaguered commander in chief. W. is not quite the hatchet job some may have expected (or hoped for). It is instead a measured and thoughtful meditation on a leader who, this terrific movie believes, inadvertently made the world as roiling as his soul.

This biopic is entertaining, empathetic and peppered with the “Bushisms” that we’ve come to love from our 43rd president. Throughout the movie we see “Junior” work to get the approval and attention of his father, Bush Sr., and daddy issues are a main theme of this movie. Even the most cynical liberals may at times find themselves feeling sorry for the hapless W.

The film is also armed with great lines from screenwriter Stanley Weiser, such as when straight arrow George Sr. (James Cromwell) admonishes his screw-up son: “Who do you think you are?  A Kennedy? You’re a Bush!”  Stone surrounds Brolin with a stunning cast of supporting players, such as the particularly good Elizabeth Banks as George’s librarian wife, Laura. Also featured are Jeffery Wright as Colin Powell, Ellen Burstyn as Barbara Bush and Richard Dreyfuss as Dick Cheney.

However, the movie does have its occasional weak spots. With so many famous people playing other famous people with varying degrees of success, the movie at times feels like an SNL skit without the jokes. At times the tone shifts to broad satire, and Thandie Newton seems to be impersonating Condoleezza Rice rather than illuminating her character.

Rating: 3.5 out of 4 stars

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...