CD Review: Oasis’ ‘Dig Out Your Soul’

If, like me, your disappointment in the previous Oasis album, Don’t Believe the Truth, was palpable, you may also approach this album with a sense of trepidation. Well end your tremulous steps and walk towards this record boldly, dear reader. This album is, while perhaps not up to the glorious standard of What’s The Story, Morning Glory, is most definitely a return to form for the Mancunian masters.

The headlining songs – “The Shock of the Lightning” and “I’m Outta Time” – are tracks that are quite different from one another, and yet are typical of earlier Oasis opuses. “I’m Outta Time” is downbeat without being depressing and inspiring without being insipid, a relaxing yet catchy song almost on par with the replayability of “Wonderwall.”

“Lightning’s” own style is more upbeat, and is a fantastic pre-gaming anthem. The other songs follow in much the same fashion, so if you have enjoyed Oasis’ music in the past, you’ll doubtlessly be thrilled by this album and consider it money well spent. If you are opposed to my personal opinion that Don’t Believe The Truth was a low point for the brilliant British band, you too may enjoy it, as it has some stylistic similarities but drops the unnecessary acoustic adoration.

This is a superb album, a return to form and one which I may recommend without regret. Compared to the mire of mediocrity that was their previous effort, Oasis have indeed dug out their soul.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

Tobias Waters

Contributing EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...