CD Review: Oasis’ ‘Dig Out Your Soul’

If, like me, your disappointment in the previous Oasis album, Don’t Believe the Truth, was palpable, you may also approach this album with a sense of trepidation. Well end your tremulous steps and walk towards this record boldly, dear reader. This album is, while perhaps not up to the glorious standard of What’s The Story, Morning Glory, is most definitely a return to form for the Mancunian masters.

The headlining songs – “The Shock of the Lightning” and “I’m Outta Time” – are tracks that are quite different from one another, and yet are typical of earlier Oasis opuses. “I’m Outta Time” is downbeat without being depressing and inspiring without being insipid, a relaxing yet catchy song almost on par with the replayability of “Wonderwall.”

“Lightning’s” own style is more upbeat, and is a fantastic pre-gaming anthem. The other songs follow in much the same fashion, so if you have enjoyed Oasis’ music in the past, you’ll doubtlessly be thrilled by this album and consider it money well spent. If you are opposed to my personal opinion that Don’t Believe The Truth was a low point for the brilliant British band, you too may enjoy it, as it has some stylistic similarities but drops the unnecessary acoustic adoration.

This is a superb album, a return to form and one which I may recommend without regret. Compared to the mire of mediocrity that was their previous effort, Oasis have indeed dug out their soul.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

Tobias Waters

Contributing EDGE Writer

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...