Widespread misconceptions about candidates on campus

HELPING HANDS: Senior Payal Patal stands in front of the “Yes We Van,” a shuttle organized by the UM chapter of the Young and College Democrats. Courtesy UM Young Democrats.

“I like to talk about the economy but a lot of my friends care more about [Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack] Obama and Bill Ayers or [Republican presidential candidate Sen. John] McCain being old than taxes,” said Cameron Harati, a sophomore who discusses politics with friends but is not confident that their enthusiasm for the candidates is substantive.

Sophomore Robert Murstein said that some students are enthusiastic about the candidates, but their support stems from image and personality rather than the issues and qualifications.

“Kids are talking more about the election this year because of how cool Obama is, or the fact that McCain was a prisoner of war,” Murstein said. “People are getting e-mails and texts from the campaigns or chain letters [that include questionable claims].”

Some students are generally confused about the candidates’ platforms.

When asked if they believe McCain is for stem-cell research, many students believe he is not. However, McCain has been a strong advocate of stem-cell research throughout the election.

Michael Weiss, a 26-year-old doctoral student and member of the UM College Democrats, believes many students are misinformed.

“Students should be discussing policies and the economy, not distractions,” he said. “But even when people talk about their proposals, they do not have their facts straight.”

Other students believe the candidates’ overall character is equal to the policies they claim to support.

“I’m looking for someone who walks the walk,” said law student Harout Samra, the state chairman of the Florida Federation of College Republicans.

Samra believes issues of personal judgment are relevant to this election and views McCain as the more trustworthy candidate because of his military service and years of experience as a statesman.

Many students agree that relationships and issues of judgment are fair game; when asked about political conversations they have with friends, most students say their discussions focus more on the candidates’ traits and characteristics than their policies.

Sophomore Brad Weisberg, a member of the UM College Democrats, agrees that the question of character is important.

“The person elected is going to be in charge of running this country and we should understand the type of people that influence them,” he said.

Weisberg said he believes that lobbyists usually influence campaign policy more than personal relationships and that both candidates are backed by special interests.

The explosiveness of rumors is so significant this election that Obama has set up a Web site that specifically attempts to refute contentious statements about his campaign and personal life. The site, fightthesmears.com, addresses issues such as Obama’s connection to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and the rumor about Michelle Obama using derogatory terms such as “whitey.”

Could the lack of factual political information impair them from making a well-informed decision on election day?

John Twichell, a professor of comparative politics, believes students are able to sift through the rumors and evaluate the issues to make an informed choice, regardless of numerous students at the university voicing their concerns about the student body being politically misinformed.

“Students are well informed about the issues that matter – foreign policy and broader economic and domestic policies,” Twichell said.

Mark Daniels

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...