Sports Briefs

TENNIS

Vallverdu falls in semifinals

Senior Daniel Vallverdu, ranked third in the nation, lost in the semifinals of the ITA Southeast Regional Championships to 12th-ranked Nate Schnugg of Georgia, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.

Despite the loss, Vallverdu qualified for the National Indoor Championships from Nov. 6-9 in Charlottesville, Va.

GOLF

Hurricanes take third at Lady Pirate Intercollegiate

Miami picked up its first top-three finish since the 2006-2007 season with a three-day total of 913 in the 20-team field at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate competition.

Georgia State and host East Carolina took the top two team spots.

The Hurricanes’ second round score of 291 Monday was one of the 10 lowest team round scores in school history. Sophomores Maria Ronderos and Christina Hirano finished tied for 10th and 12th respectively.

FOOTBALL

Harris receives ACC honor

Freshman quarterback Jacory Harris earned the ACC Rookie of the Week distinction for the second time this season.

Harris threw for a career-high four touchdowns and ran for another touchdown to lead the Hurricanes past the Duke Blue Devils 49-31 on Saturday.

VOLLEYBALL

Carico earns ACC honor

Freshman outside hitter Lane Carico was tabbed as the ACC Volleyball Player of the Week as the Canes won back-to-back ACC matches against North Carolina and North Carolina State.

On the week, the Manhattan Beach, Calif., native registered 30 kills, a .347 hitting percentage, four assists and 28 digs.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Time set for first exhibition game

The University of Miami men’s basketball team will face Florida Memorial in its first exhibition game Nov. 1 at 5:30 p.m. at the BankUnited Center, which allows fans to watch Hurricane football play Virginia at noon.

Miami opens the regular season at home against Florida Southern on Nov. 15. That game will begin at 7:30 p.m.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The start to spring practice this year came with a long delay for Xzavier Henderson. In addition to ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...