Football

Sending a Message

On Sunday, it was reported that Randy Shannon would stick with Robert Marve as his number one quarterback.

The collective response: “Why?”

This is a good question and a fair one.

Marve started off against Duke just fine and led his team to an early touchdown. However, late in the first half he threw a dumb interception, the type that was all too common around these parts when Kirby Freeman was the quarterback.

Shannon inserted Jacory Harris into the game.

Harris led a touchdown drive on his second possession and gave the Canes the momentum going into halftime.

After opening up the second half with a dumb interception, Harris then opened the floodgates, crushing the Blue Devils in a matter of about ten minutes.

What’s more, he looked like Ken Dorsey in doing so. So why is it that Shannon would stick with Marve?

I can think of two reasons. I like one better than the other.

The first is that Marve played well until one mistake. After that, Harris took over for the game, but that game is over.

I see Shannon’s side of the argument, but I was under the impression that this program is about winning. From where I am sitting, Harris won the game, not Marve.

The second, and better reason, is the dreaded quarterback controversy.

In 1994, a very talented Miami team fractured down the middle due to a quarterback controversy involving Ryan Collins and Frank Costa. The team divided into two camps and the season became one of underachievement, punctuated by a very public beating in a bowl game.

It was every coach’s worst nightmare, and the type of thing that can lead a program down a very bad path.

Shannon does not want that to happen to this group of kids, which has shown so much promise.

Marve is his guy. For better or worse, he gets the first shot every game. When he is good, he keeps the ball.

When he makes bad mistakes (like throwing into a group of three defenders) he gets to sit. This is the type of message that keeps a team together.

Quarterback is the most important position to have stability at, especially with a young team.

It is easy to say that a receiver will be pulled from the rotation for dropping balls, because there are about ten of them who are interchangeable (e.g. Sam Shields, Leonard Hankerson).

However, a quarterback has to be the leader. And leaders cannot be interchangeable.

I like Shannon’s move. It sends the right message. Performance matters, but Shannon’s faith is deep in his players. It will take more than one bad performance to get the rug pulled out.

It is the message that will keep this group from splintering.

Dan Stein

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...