Football

Sending a Message

On Sunday, it was reported that Randy Shannon would stick with Robert Marve as his number one quarterback.

The collective response: “Why?”

This is a good question and a fair one.

Marve started off against Duke just fine and led his team to an early touchdown. However, late in the first half he threw a dumb interception, the type that was all too common around these parts when Kirby Freeman was the quarterback.

Shannon inserted Jacory Harris into the game.

Harris led a touchdown drive on his second possession and gave the Canes the momentum going into halftime.

After opening up the second half with a dumb interception, Harris then opened the floodgates, crushing the Blue Devils in a matter of about ten minutes.

What’s more, he looked like Ken Dorsey in doing so. So why is it that Shannon would stick with Marve?

I can think of two reasons. I like one better than the other.

The first is that Marve played well until one mistake. After that, Harris took over for the game, but that game is over.

I see Shannon’s side of the argument, but I was under the impression that this program is about winning. From where I am sitting, Harris won the game, not Marve.

The second, and better reason, is the dreaded quarterback controversy.

In 1994, a very talented Miami team fractured down the middle due to a quarterback controversy involving Ryan Collins and Frank Costa. The team divided into two camps and the season became one of underachievement, punctuated by a very public beating in a bowl game.

It was every coach’s worst nightmare, and the type of thing that can lead a program down a very bad path.

Shannon does not want that to happen to this group of kids, which has shown so much promise.

Marve is his guy. For better or worse, he gets the first shot every game. When he is good, he keeps the ball.

When he makes bad mistakes (like throwing into a group of three defenders) he gets to sit. This is the type of message that keeps a team together.

Quarterback is the most important position to have stability at, especially with a young team.

It is easy to say that a receiver will be pulled from the rotation for dropping balls, because there are about ten of them who are interchangeable (e.g. Sam Shields, Leonard Hankerson).

However, a quarterback has to be the leader. And leaders cannot be interchangeable.

I like Shannon’s move. It sends the right message. Performance matters, but Shannon’s faith is deep in his players. It will take more than one bad performance to get the rug pulled out.

It is the message that will keep this group from splintering.

Dan Stein

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...