Football

Sending a Message

On Sunday, it was reported that Randy Shannon would stick with Robert Marve as his number one quarterback.

The collective response: “Why?”

This is a good question and a fair one.

Marve started off against Duke just fine and led his team to an early touchdown. However, late in the first half he threw a dumb interception, the type that was all too common around these parts when Kirby Freeman was the quarterback.

Shannon inserted Jacory Harris into the game.

Harris led a touchdown drive on his second possession and gave the Canes the momentum going into halftime.

After opening up the second half with a dumb interception, Harris then opened the floodgates, crushing the Blue Devils in a matter of about ten minutes.

What’s more, he looked like Ken Dorsey in doing so. So why is it that Shannon would stick with Marve?

I can think of two reasons. I like one better than the other.

The first is that Marve played well until one mistake. After that, Harris took over for the game, but that game is over.

I see Shannon’s side of the argument, but I was under the impression that this program is about winning. From where I am sitting, Harris won the game, not Marve.

The second, and better reason, is the dreaded quarterback controversy.

In 1994, a very talented Miami team fractured down the middle due to a quarterback controversy involving Ryan Collins and Frank Costa. The team divided into two camps and the season became one of underachievement, punctuated by a very public beating in a bowl game.

It was every coach’s worst nightmare, and the type of thing that can lead a program down a very bad path.

Shannon does not want that to happen to this group of kids, which has shown so much promise.

Marve is his guy. For better or worse, he gets the first shot every game. When he is good, he keeps the ball.

When he makes bad mistakes (like throwing into a group of three defenders) he gets to sit. This is the type of message that keeps a team together.

Quarterback is the most important position to have stability at, especially with a young team.

It is easy to say that a receiver will be pulled from the rotation for dropping balls, because there are about ten of them who are interchangeable (e.g. Sam Shields, Leonard Hankerson).

However, a quarterback has to be the leader. And leaders cannot be interchangeable.

I like Shannon’s move. It sends the right message. Performance matters, but Shannon’s faith is deep in his players. It will take more than one bad performance to get the rug pulled out.

It is the message that will keep this group from splintering.

Dan Stein

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...