Football

Matchup: Miami vs. Wake Forest

Quarterback: Wake Forest’s Riley Skinner is coming off a rough week which saw him complete only 14 of his 30 passes in a 26-0 loss to Maryland. On the other hand, Robert Marve and Jacory Harris both played well, especially Harris; he won ACC Offensive Rookie of the Week for his effort in a 49-31 win. Skinner has been consistently good for years now, while Harris and Marve have switched between great and mediocre this season. EDGE: Wake Forest

Running Back: Wake’s leading rusher is Josh Adams; he comes in averaging 3.1 yards per carry. Wake’s running game, in total, is averaging a mere 2.5 yards per carry. Miami’s running backs are all at or near 4 yards per carry, and Javarris James will be worked in more this week as a complement to Graig Cooper, who is averaging 5.3 yards per carry. EDGE: Miami

Wide Receiver: D.J. Boldin, Anquan’s little brother, is Wake’s go-to guy with 38 catches. He is averaging 10.1 yards per catch. Last week, Miami’s receivers went nuts and managed to make the big plays AND the routine ones. However, it was against Duke. This comes down to, once again, a go-to guy against strength in numbers. Miami’s receivers are hitting their stride while Wake’s offense is struggling to do anything. EDGE: Miami

Offensive Line: Wake is averaging only 2.5 yards per carry and they have struggled to score points. Miami’s line has been solid and has the run game averaging 4.1 yards per carry. The quarterbacks have felt pressure when they hold the ball for too long but not much aside from that. EDGE: Miami

Defensive Line: Miami’s defensive line has been solid against the run but has struggled to generate pressure. The same holds true for Wake. Neither team can claim an advantage. EDGE: Even

Linebackers: Wake’s Aaron Curry has been a stud. He leads Wake in tackles and tackles for a loss while also picking up an interception. Miami’s trio of Sean Spence, Daryl Sharpton and Glenn Cook has been great. Sharpton is coming off two big games in a row, and Spence and Cook are usually around the ball. EDGE: Miami

Secondary: Miami’s secondary should have been exposed again last week, but Duke’s players could not hold onto the ball. That will not be true this week. Wake’s best player is cornerback Alphonso Smith. Smith is from Pahokee and will have a chip on his shoulder against one of the in-state programs that spurned him. EDGE: Wake Forest

Special Teams: Matt Bosher and Travis Benjamin have been great for Miami. Wake has the best kicker in the nation is Sam Swank, but he missed the past two weeks and the difference has been palpable. If he plays, Wake gets the edge. Smith makes Wake’s return game dangerous, but without their kicker they are not as formidable. EDGE: Miami

Dan Stein

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...