Football

Matchup: Miami vs. Wake Forest

Quarterback: Wake Forest’s Riley Skinner is coming off a rough week which saw him complete only 14 of his 30 passes in a 26-0 loss to Maryland. On the other hand, Robert Marve and Jacory Harris both played well, especially Harris; he won ACC Offensive Rookie of the Week for his effort in a 49-31 win. Skinner has been consistently good for years now, while Harris and Marve have switched between great and mediocre this season. EDGE: Wake Forest

Running Back: Wake’s leading rusher is Josh Adams; he comes in averaging 3.1 yards per carry. Wake’s running game, in total, is averaging a mere 2.5 yards per carry. Miami’s running backs are all at or near 4 yards per carry, and Javarris James will be worked in more this week as a complement to Graig Cooper, who is averaging 5.3 yards per carry. EDGE: Miami

Wide Receiver: D.J. Boldin, Anquan’s little brother, is Wake’s go-to guy with 38 catches. He is averaging 10.1 yards per catch. Last week, Miami’s receivers went nuts and managed to make the big plays AND the routine ones. However, it was against Duke. This comes down to, once again, a go-to guy against strength in numbers. Miami’s receivers are hitting their stride while Wake’s offense is struggling to do anything. EDGE: Miami

Offensive Line: Wake is averaging only 2.5 yards per carry and they have struggled to score points. Miami’s line has been solid and has the run game averaging 4.1 yards per carry. The quarterbacks have felt pressure when they hold the ball for too long but not much aside from that. EDGE: Miami

Defensive Line: Miami’s defensive line has been solid against the run but has struggled to generate pressure. The same holds true for Wake. Neither team can claim an advantage. EDGE: Even

Linebackers: Wake’s Aaron Curry has been a stud. He leads Wake in tackles and tackles for a loss while also picking up an interception. Miami’s trio of Sean Spence, Daryl Sharpton and Glenn Cook has been great. Sharpton is coming off two big games in a row, and Spence and Cook are usually around the ball. EDGE: Miami

Secondary: Miami’s secondary should have been exposed again last week, but Duke’s players could not hold onto the ball. That will not be true this week. Wake’s best player is cornerback Alphonso Smith. Smith is from Pahokee and will have a chip on his shoulder against one of the in-state programs that spurned him. EDGE: Wake Forest

Special Teams: Matt Bosher and Travis Benjamin have been great for Miami. Wake has the best kicker in the nation is Sam Swank, but he missed the past two weeks and the difference has been palpable. If he plays, Wake gets the edge. Smith makes Wake’s return game dangerous, but without their kicker they are not as formidable. EDGE: Miami

Dan Stein

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...