Football

Matchup: Miami vs. Wake Forest

Quarterback: Wake Forest’s Riley Skinner is coming off a rough week which saw him complete only 14 of his 30 passes in a 26-0 loss to Maryland. On the other hand, Robert Marve and Jacory Harris both played well, especially Harris; he won ACC Offensive Rookie of the Week for his effort in a 49-31 win. Skinner has been consistently good for years now, while Harris and Marve have switched between great and mediocre this season. EDGE: Wake Forest

Running Back: Wake’s leading rusher is Josh Adams; he comes in averaging 3.1 yards per carry. Wake’s running game, in total, is averaging a mere 2.5 yards per carry. Miami’s running backs are all at or near 4 yards per carry, and Javarris James will be worked in more this week as a complement to Graig Cooper, who is averaging 5.3 yards per carry. EDGE: Miami

Wide Receiver: D.J. Boldin, Anquan’s little brother, is Wake’s go-to guy with 38 catches. He is averaging 10.1 yards per catch. Last week, Miami’s receivers went nuts and managed to make the big plays AND the routine ones. However, it was against Duke. This comes down to, once again, a go-to guy against strength in numbers. Miami’s receivers are hitting their stride while Wake’s offense is struggling to do anything. EDGE: Miami

Offensive Line: Wake is averaging only 2.5 yards per carry and they have struggled to score points. Miami’s line has been solid and has the run game averaging 4.1 yards per carry. The quarterbacks have felt pressure when they hold the ball for too long but not much aside from that. EDGE: Miami

Defensive Line: Miami’s defensive line has been solid against the run but has struggled to generate pressure. The same holds true for Wake. Neither team can claim an advantage. EDGE: Even

Linebackers: Wake’s Aaron Curry has been a stud. He leads Wake in tackles and tackles for a loss while also picking up an interception. Miami’s trio of Sean Spence, Daryl Sharpton and Glenn Cook has been great. Sharpton is coming off two big games in a row, and Spence and Cook are usually around the ball. EDGE: Miami

Secondary: Miami’s secondary should have been exposed again last week, but Duke’s players could not hold onto the ball. That will not be true this week. Wake’s best player is cornerback Alphonso Smith. Smith is from Pahokee and will have a chip on his shoulder against one of the in-state programs that spurned him. EDGE: Wake Forest

Special Teams: Matt Bosher and Travis Benjamin have been great for Miami. Wake has the best kicker in the nation is Sam Swank, but he missed the past two weeks and the difference has been palpable. If he plays, Wake gets the edge. Smith makes Wake’s return game dangerous, but without their kicker they are not as formidable. EDGE: Miami

Dan Stein

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team posted a 6-2, 6-0 victory against No. 5 ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...