Keeping youth at the forefront

America’s youth aren’t just some expendable resource. No sir, let me tell you that the youth of this country are nothing less than its future protectors and it is their interests for which the country ought to sacrifice now. Since most of you reading this are members of that group perhaps such a stirring sentiment will arouse in you some desire to study, to learn and to use your talents for the betterment of mankind. Others will get the joke.

If America’s youth are its future then now is the time to write its obituary. Clearly the vast group of people stuck in substandard schools all across the country aren’t going to use their underdeveloped skills to save the USA. No one expects “those people” to save the country, though. Elites, private college students, will do that.

Well, fellow members of the meritocratic royalty, are you up to the challenge? Those of you still sleeping off this weekend’s binge can feel free to take some extra time contemplating the above question. For the rest of you, perhaps it’s time to take a look around. If you can tear yourselves away from certain distractions perhaps you’ll notice that America’s youth are especially involved in political campaigns both locally and nationally this year.

How hopeful, say the political elites! This is just wonderful, say our elders! Finally the patriotic values we instilled in our progeny are coming to fruition. To blame others would be ignorant, however, in the face of a degree of smugness that can be detected on the countenances on everyone who considers himself or herself “involved.”

After Nov. 4, when the exhilaration of being a participant fades, all who now exult in their ability to affect events would do well to ask themselves one simple question. How exactly will you maintain this current level of excitement when we, the youth, come to understand that we can’t just write some words on a sheet and change events when our candidates are actually in office?

In 1960 John Kennedy was the candidate of the young. He fired their imaginations, but as time went on they found that they did not have Washington’s ear and cities burned when they tried to gain it. Involvement is wonderful. But change comes slowly in this republic. Investing yourself wholly in your perceptions of a candidate as an agent of quick change will only bring disillusionment.

Andrew Hamner

Opinion Columnist

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...