Ibis Ride to resume Halloween service

The Halloween Ibis Ride is back.

After one year of cancelations, the University of Miami, through a joint effort by Student Government and the administration, will provide students with shuttles to Coconut Grove to enjoy Halloween festivities.

The Halloween ride will pick students up from Stanford Circle at 10 p.m. to take them to Coconut Grove. It will leave Coconut Grove for campus at 1 a.m. The buses will leave at 1 a.m. to better handle traffic.

Students wishing to ride this bus must sign up at the University Center info desk from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday. There are 500 seats available.

“These seats are expected to go very fast,” said Brandon Gross, the Student Government president.

A student needs to bring their Cane Card to load the bus.

There will be a police presence at both the departure and arrival points of the buses. Members of the executive board of SG will ride each one of the ten buses.

The amount of buses was limited by cost. The ten buses will cost $10,000.

A similar plan of 10 buses for 500 students was submitted by SG last year but was rejected.

This plan had the buses leaving at 9 p.m. and returning at 2 a.m. The cost was estimated to be between $12,000 to $15,000 according to previous SG President Danny Carvajal.

Patricia A. Whitely, the vice president for Student Affairs, did not want to provide shuttles to Coconut Grove in the middle of the week last year and interrupt students’ academics.

This year Halloween falls on a Friday, a day that already has regularly planned Ibis Rides. The Halloween shuttles will be chartered buses from American Coach.

In 2006, the Halloween Ride was canceled as around a hundred students rushed the bus in an unruly manner. No one was hurt but this incident made the Dean of Students office from a committee to reassess the Halloween Ibis Ride.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...