Homecoming 2008 theme will be ‘very different,’ festivities begin

CROWN ‘EM: Junior Jaife Calil was crowned Homecoming Queen. The coronation was one of the week’s many events. Zach Woodward // Hurricane Staff.

It’s that time of year again.

With the semester more than halfway over, students can take a break from school’s hectic schedule and celebrate the University of Miami’s Homecoming 2008, “Once Upon a ‘U.’”

The homecoming traditions began in 1931 and each year during this time, UM showcases its rich history and spirit.

“There have been a lot of changes this year,” said senior Jabeen Syed, a co-chair of the Homecoming Executive Committee. “The theme is very different from previous themes and it’s something students can have fun with but still keep with tradition.”

Previous themes include “The Road Home” in 2002, “Taking Shelter from the Storm” in 2003, “Evolution” in 2004 and “Great Things to Come” in 2006.

Since opening ceremonies on Oct. 12, several events have taken place including the alma mater singing competition, a blood drive and the crowning of Homecoming King and Queen – junior Tom Dempsey and junior Jaife Calil.

But there’s still much more to come. Current students, faculty, community members and alumni from all over the country can look forward to the annual homecoming parade, which kicks off at 7 p.m. on Friday.

“One of the big events for the alumni is the parade,” said Kate Lake, the assistant director of Alumni Programs. “[Former UM defensive lineman and No. 1 draft pick of the 1991 draft] Russell Maryland, UM President Donna E. Shalala, Sebastian the Ibis, Band of the Hour and UM cheerleaders will be walking along side the floats. We expect it to be a lot of fun.”

Immediately following the parade, the pep rally will begin at 8 p.m. along with the boat burning ceremony and fireworks at 9 p.m., which will take place along the waterfront of Lake Osceola in the center of campus.
During the burning of the boat, the tradition states that if the mast breaks before the boat sinks, UM will win the homecoming football game.

And according to Syed, sheets with Wake Forest’s logo will be on the boat and burned as well.

Then the high-energy night will come to a close with a concert on the University Green at 9:30 p.m. featuring performances by N*E*R*D and opening act Kidz in the Hall.

Syed said many students are excited about the concert, various vendors and the overall fun-filled atmosphere on campus this week.

“I’m really looking forward to the concert this year,” senior Eling Tsai said. “The previous two have been a lot of fun, so I expect this one to be just as good.”

On Saturday, the Hurricane football team will take on Wake Forest at noon in Dolphin Stadium.

“If people aren’t participating in the activities, we really encourage them to come out to see this beautiful tradition here at UM,” Syed said. “It’s something everyone should be a part of.”

EVENTS

Thursday
-Alma Mater singing competition and Spirit Tree
UC Rock, 12:30 p.m.

Friday
-2008 Homecoming Parade
Stanford Drive, 7 p.m.

-Hurricane Howl
After parade; Lake Osceola, Showmobile, UC Green and Patio
6 p.m. Kidsville
8:15 p.m. Pep rally
9 p.m. Boat burning/fireworks
9:30 p.m. Concert/Howl begins

Saturday
-Homecoming Game: UM vs. Wake Forest
Dolphin Stadium, kickoff at noon

ALUMNI EVENTS

Thursday
-50th and Old Timers Reunion
BankUnited Center, 5 p.m.

-Bruce Hornsby and Friends
BankUnited Center, 8 p.m.

-Alumni “Last Call” at the Rat
Rathskeller, 9 p.m. to midnight

Friday
-Alumni Avenue (Reunion Parties)
Stanford Circle, 6:30-11 p.m.

Saturday
-Pregame Celebration
Dolphin Stadium – Gate C, 9:30 a.m.

Sunday
-Farewell Brunch
The Kampong in Coconut Grove, 10:30 a.m. to noon

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...