Homecoming 2008 theme will be ‘very different,’ festivities begin

CROWN ‘EM: Junior Jaife Calil was crowned Homecoming Queen. The coronation was one of the week’s many events. Zach Woodward // Hurricane Staff.

It’s that time of year again.

With the semester more than halfway over, students can take a break from school’s hectic schedule and celebrate the University of Miami’s Homecoming 2008, “Once Upon a ‘U.’”

The homecoming traditions began in 1931 and each year during this time, UM showcases its rich history and spirit.

“There have been a lot of changes this year,” said senior Jabeen Syed, a co-chair of the Homecoming Executive Committee. “The theme is very different from previous themes and it’s something students can have fun with but still keep with tradition.”

Previous themes include “The Road Home” in 2002, “Taking Shelter from the Storm” in 2003, “Evolution” in 2004 and “Great Things to Come” in 2006.

Since opening ceremonies on Oct. 12, several events have taken place including the alma mater singing competition, a blood drive and the crowning of Homecoming King and Queen – junior Tom Dempsey and junior Jaife Calil.

But there’s still much more to come. Current students, faculty, community members and alumni from all over the country can look forward to the annual homecoming parade, which kicks off at 7 p.m. on Friday.

“One of the big events for the alumni is the parade,” said Kate Lake, the assistant director of Alumni Programs. “[Former UM defensive lineman and No. 1 draft pick of the 1991 draft] Russell Maryland, UM President Donna E. Shalala, Sebastian the Ibis, Band of the Hour and UM cheerleaders will be walking along side the floats. We expect it to be a lot of fun.”

Immediately following the parade, the pep rally will begin at 8 p.m. along with the boat burning ceremony and fireworks at 9 p.m., which will take place along the waterfront of Lake Osceola in the center of campus.
During the burning of the boat, the tradition states that if the mast breaks before the boat sinks, UM will win the homecoming football game.

And according to Syed, sheets with Wake Forest’s logo will be on the boat and burned as well.

Then the high-energy night will come to a close with a concert on the University Green at 9:30 p.m. featuring performances by N*E*R*D and opening act Kidz in the Hall.

Syed said many students are excited about the concert, various vendors and the overall fun-filled atmosphere on campus this week.

“I’m really looking forward to the concert this year,” senior Eling Tsai said. “The previous two have been a lot of fun, so I expect this one to be just as good.”

On Saturday, the Hurricane football team will take on Wake Forest at noon in Dolphin Stadium.

“If people aren’t participating in the activities, we really encourage them to come out to see this beautiful tradition here at UM,” Syed said. “It’s something everyone should be a part of.”

EVENTS

Thursday
-Alma Mater singing competition and Spirit Tree
UC Rock, 12:30 p.m.

Friday
-2008 Homecoming Parade
Stanford Drive, 7 p.m.

-Hurricane Howl
After parade; Lake Osceola, Showmobile, UC Green and Patio
6 p.m. Kidsville
8:15 p.m. Pep rally
9 p.m. Boat burning/fireworks
9:30 p.m. Concert/Howl begins

Saturday
-Homecoming Game: UM vs. Wake Forest
Dolphin Stadium, kickoff at noon

ALUMNI EVENTS

Thursday
-50th and Old Timers Reunion
BankUnited Center, 5 p.m.

-Bruce Hornsby and Friends
BankUnited Center, 8 p.m.

-Alumni “Last Call” at the Rat
Rathskeller, 9 p.m. to midnight

Friday
-Alumni Avenue (Reunion Parties)
Stanford Circle, 6:30-11 p.m.

Saturday
-Pregame Celebration
Dolphin Stadium – Gate C, 9:30 a.m.

Sunday
-Farewell Brunch
The Kampong in Coconut Grove, 10:30 a.m. to noon

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...