Coconut Grove Beat Notebook

Oct. 31 is more than just a holiday in Coconut Grove, it’s a cultural occasion. Grove-going regulars are sure to find their favorite hotspots packed with Miamians of all shapes and sizes in costume. From Grand Avenue to Peacock Park and up and down Main Highway, clusters of costumed companions will stretch as far as the eye can see. UM students are bound to bump into an ex-roommate or a classmate or two at the biggest impromptu Halloween party in South Florida.

Scarefest, the spectacularly spooky house of horror in the Grove, is open now until Nov. 2. Known as Miami’s ultimate haunted house, it features a cast of live characters, over 20,000 square feet of space, 15 rooms, two stories and a different theme for every room. Scarefest is located on the third and fourth floors of Cocowalk, located at 3015 Grand Ave. More information can be found at scaremiami.com.

Looking to make a difference this fall? Miami’s Salvation Army is asking for Halloween themed donations to help with the construction of their fun house. Officials are asking for various items including decorations, costumes for adult men, party food, packaged candy and prizes. Volunteers to help with the event are also welcome. To make a donation or for more information on volunteering call 305-573-4200 ext. 205.

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...