Volleyball

Volleyball continues its hot streak, sweeps weekend matches

The University of Miami volleyball team finished off its season-long home stand by winning all five matches over a three-week span.

Miami (19-2, 7-2) sits in second place in the Atlantic Coast Conference behind reigning champion Clemson (15-5, 7-2). The squad has now won six in a row overall and its last 12 at the Knight Sports Complex.

On Friday night, the Canes swept N.C. State and improved to 9-0 all-time against the Wolfpack (9-15, 3-6).

Freshman outside hitter Lane Carico, senior middle blocker Angelica Ellis and sophomore setter Katie Gallagher recorded kills to start the set and jump the Canes out to an early 7-1 lead before N.C. State burnt a timeout. The Hurricanes never trailed in the first set and looked dominant in the next two.

“N.C. State has been an up and down team,” Gallagher said. “This team has upset a lot of good teams this year and we just wanted to come out with a lot of energy and prove we were the better team.”

As a team, the Canes tallied 10 service aces compared to the Wolfpack’s two.

Libero Cassie Loessberg led the team in digs with 22, while Gallagher dished out 29 assists amd chipped in with seven digs and three service aces.

Saturday night’s match, however, took four sets for Miami to beat the Tar Heels, 20-25, 25-21, 25-19, 25-23.

Going into the match, UNC (11-9, 5-4) was ranked first in the ACC in digs.

For the seventh time this year, UM dropped the first set and battled back to win.

Junior outside hitter Genny Mayhew and Carico each recorded double-doubles as the Canes outserved the Tar Heels 8-3. On the season, Miami has 54 more service aces than their opponents.

Fatigue may have played a factor for North Carolina, who won a five-set match Friday night against Florida State and traveled overnight.

Miami now heads on the road to face Virginia (12-9, 4-5) at 7 p.m. Friday and Virginia Tech (16-4, 7-2) at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...