Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Shannon joins Coach to Cure Muscular Dystrophy

On Oct. 25, head coach Randy Shannon will join college football coaches from around the country to fight Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy by wearing an armband with a Coach to Cure MD symbol. The American Football Coaches Association and Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy will raise awareness and funds for research.

Football fans can donate to muscular dystrophy research either online at CoachToCureMD.org or by texting the word “CURE” to 90999 to automatically donate $5 from their mobile phones.

Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy is the most common fatal genetic disorder diagnosed during childhood. It primarily affects boys and occurs across all races and cultures.

GOLF

Hurricanes finish 12th at Starmount Fall Classic

Sophomore Maria Ronderos and freshman Jennifer Hirano both fired a five-over-par 76 in the final round Tuesday to finish tied for 22nd at the Starmount Fall Classic in Greensboro, N.C. with a total of 230 over three rounds.

Miami posted a score of 937. Host UNC Greensboro and East Carolina tied for the team title by shooting an 894.

BASKETBALL

Paradise Jam tickets on sale

Miami will compete in the ninth annual U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam at the University of Virgin Islands, which takes place Nov. 21-24.

The award-winning Frenchman’s Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort is the tournament home for teams, the media and the event organizers.

Room and ticket packages are available through Basketball Travelers at www.paradisejam.com/pages/m_travelpackage.htm.

The Hurricanes will face Southern Mississippi on Nov. 21 at 1 p.m. in the four-round tournament. Of the eight teams competing, four made it to the NCAA Tournament last year: Miami, Wisconsin, Connecticut and San Diego.

ACADEMICS

Student-athletes exceed national graduation rate

University of Miami student-athletes who entered college between 1998 and 2001 had an overall graduation rate of 81 percent, according to figures released by the NCAA. The national rate was 78 percent for Division 1.

Four teams – men’s diving, women’s basketball, women’s golf and women’s tennis – all recorded a perfect 100 percent graduation rate.

Information compiled from coachtocuremd.org and hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...