Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Shannon joins Coach to Cure Muscular Dystrophy

On Oct. 25, head coach Randy Shannon will join college football coaches from around the country to fight Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy by wearing an armband with a Coach to Cure MD symbol. The American Football Coaches Association and Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy will raise awareness and funds for research.

Football fans can donate to muscular dystrophy research either online at CoachToCureMD.org or by texting the word “CURE” to 90999 to automatically donate $5 from their mobile phones.

Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy is the most common fatal genetic disorder diagnosed during childhood. It primarily affects boys and occurs across all races and cultures.

GOLF

Hurricanes finish 12th at Starmount Fall Classic

Sophomore Maria Ronderos and freshman Jennifer Hirano both fired a five-over-par 76 in the final round Tuesday to finish tied for 22nd at the Starmount Fall Classic in Greensboro, N.C. with a total of 230 over three rounds.

Miami posted a score of 937. Host UNC Greensboro and East Carolina tied for the team title by shooting an 894.

BASKETBALL

Paradise Jam tickets on sale

Miami will compete in the ninth annual U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam at the University of Virgin Islands, which takes place Nov. 21-24.

The award-winning Frenchman’s Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort is the tournament home for teams, the media and the event organizers.

Room and ticket packages are available through Basketball Travelers at www.paradisejam.com/pages/m_travelpackage.htm.

The Hurricanes will face Southern Mississippi on Nov. 21 at 1 p.m. in the four-round tournament. Of the eight teams competing, four made it to the NCAA Tournament last year: Miami, Wisconsin, Connecticut and San Diego.

ACADEMICS

Student-athletes exceed national graduation rate

University of Miami student-athletes who entered college between 1998 and 2001 had an overall graduation rate of 81 percent, according to figures released by the NCAA. The national rate was 78 percent for Division 1.

Four teams – men’s diving, women’s basketball, women’s golf and women’s tennis – all recorded a perfect 100 percent graduation rate.

Information compiled from coachtocuremd.org and hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...