Our opinion: Caffeine is the drug we can all get behind

At this point in the day, most of you have likely consumed some caffeine. Whether it’s in that precious morning cup of your favorite Starbucks dark roast or in a can of Coca-Cola with lunch, caffeine is America’s most popular drug, and we get hooked early.

If you’re a caffeine junkie, whether you’d like to admit it or not, you know what its like to wake up in the morning and fiend. Your eyes open to the glaring daylight and all you can think about is either rolling over and hiding under the covers or brewing up a fresh cup of java. In the time between waking up and taking that first sip, you barely feel human. Once that hot caffeinated beverage hits your lips and goes down your throat, you feel that tingle down your spine and once again, you’re a person. It might as well be Popeye getting a hold of some primo spinach. 

But caffeine goes way beyond your cup of joe in the morning. All the cool kids are pounding energy drinks like it’s going out of style. It’s almost cultish. First it started with Red Bull, then Monster, Rockstar, Cocaine and now the ever-present 5-Hour Energy. Can you believe it? A five-hour boost of energy with no crash! There must be fine print somewhere around here. So what if you collapse on your laptop at five hours and one minute?

Now it’s even spread into our good old friend alcohol. Bawls and Sparks have become staples of the party circuit, increasing your energy while decreasing your inhibitions. Doesn’t that sound fantastic?

But fortunately, there’s some good news. There is little we can tell you about the negative effects of caffeine because, well, there aren’t many. Unless of course you’re pregnant, or have high or low blood pressure or chronic ulcers.

Studies show that if you keep your intake below 70 to 100 cups of coffee in a single day, there’s little chance of death. So however you get that energy fix that’ll keep you up for three days straight during finals, just know that it may even help prevent Alzheimer’s later down the road.

Editorial Board

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...