Football

Marcus Forston: Big man, bigger boom

Defensive Tackle Marcus Forston (99) lines up against UCF last Saturday. A highly touted recruit out of Miami's Northwestern High School, Forston has quickly seen playing time for the Canes. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

First, you start off with a pinch of explosiveness and a dash of size – six feet two inches and 310 pounds of lion.

Then you throw in awareness and a touch of acceleration.

Next you add some strength and a bit of aggression.

Sprinkle in great speed and Warren Sapp’s jersey number, 99.

Then you shred in some pass rush ability mixed with Hurricane.

To top it off, you add some swagger.

This makes a boom. A Big Boom.

This is Marcus Forston.

But you’re forgetting one key Forston ingredient, his special seasoning.

The flavor consists of a kind-hearted young man who is just grateful for everything he has received in life.

“In life I just motivate myself by looking and seeing people with no arms or legs who don’t have the opportunity to play football,” Forston said. “Its hurts to see that. I’m thankful I am blessed with that.”

So Forston stays true to himself and never forgets where he has come from. The two most important things in his life are his Lord and his mother.

“What inspires me in life is the man above,” Forston said. “Just growing up my mom always asked me to pray. I just know without him I wouldn’t be able to have this ability.”

Every time Forston steps onto the field, he has the goal in mind to make a better life for himself and his family. Before each game, Forston calls his mother and both read Psalm 121 together.

“What keeps me motivated is my mom,” Forston said. “Just to see the situation she is in right now, I want to get her a better life and a better life style. I want to get my degree and hopefully go to the NFL.”

Forston’s humility has influenced his everyday life. Wherever he goes, he has a smile on his face. His favorite thing about playing football is not the football aspect but the chance to build bonds and make new friends. Forston’s impression has rubbed off in the locker and with the coaching staff.

“He is happy-go-lucky and a cheerful guy – always joking around,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “They call him Big Boom. I don’t know why they call him that. You will know something is wrong with Marcus when he is not joking.”

However, Forston wasn’t always a humble young man. A younger Forston stayed home too much and felt he was overweight. He just sat and watched his two older brothers play. Football was not an option in his life then.

But he finally grew into his body, which lead to Forston capturing back-to-back state titles at Miami Northwestern, something that is dear to Forston.

Now he is at Miami, where he used to idolize great defensive linemen such as Warren Sapp, Vince Wilfork, and Russell Maryland. The first start of his career came in the second game of the season against the Florida Gators.

At this moment, Forston is putting together his legacy as a Miami Hurricane starting by being a reliable teammate.

“I want them to remember me for being a humble guy,” Forston said. “A guy who would do whatever he can for his teammates. If a guy calls me at 3 o’clock in the morning, I will be there for him.”

Still, don’t let this kind-hearted man deceive you. Forston is still a swift lion moving on the field that is looking for the opportunity to leave a lasting impression on his opponents, leaving them having felt the Big Boom.

Lelan LeDoux

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...