Basketball

“Hurricanes Hoopfest” an open practice for fans on Oct. 18

The Miami Hurricanes men’s and women’s basketball teams will welcome fans to the BankUnited Center on Oct. 18 for “Hurricanes Hoopfest ’08,” an event for fans, and especially those interested in purchasing season tickets for either team.

The day will feature an open practice, autograph session with both teams and an appearance by Sebastian the Ibis.

The men’s team is coming off a remarkable turnaround season in which they were projected to finish last in the Atlantic Coast Conference and wound up making the second round of the NCAA tournament. The team returns most of that nucleus, including senior guard Jack McClinton. The women’s team is rebounding after a 9-20 season, but is bringing in a McDonald’s All-American in Shenise Johnson, rated No. 11 in the country by Slam Magazine.

Matthew Bunch

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...