CD Review: Ben Folds’ ‘Way to Normal’

Ben Folds is back! The studio was a much-needed escape for singer/songwriter Ben Folds following his two-year divorce proceedings. Now, Folds’ third LP, Way to Normal, is a celebration of his newfound liberty and return to identity.

Regina Spektor hooks up with Folds for “You Don’t Know Me,” a moving reflection about lovers who realize they don’t understand the most central things about each other. “If I’m the person who you say I am, clueless chump you seem to think I am, so he’s been led astray like an errant dog,” they sing. In my opinion it’s one of the most moving songs on the album.

“The bitch went nuts, she stabbed my basketball and the speakers to my stereo.” Way to Normal is at its most daring during “Bitch Went Nuts,” a sick-nasty track that guarantees to appeal to dumped dudes everywhere. This track almost didn’t make the cut because this was the first time that Folds had written a track with the word “bitch” in it but, Folds being Folds, he decided that the track was just too much fun to leave off the album.

Ben Folds maintains that Way to Normal is the most fun he’s had recording… and with that said, it’s a feeling that will most certainly resonate with listeners.

Matt Levin

Contributing EDGE Writer

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...