CD Review: Ben Folds’ ‘Way to Normal’

Ben Folds is back! The studio was a much-needed escape for singer/songwriter Ben Folds following his two-year divorce proceedings. Now, Folds’ third LP, Way to Normal, is a celebration of his newfound liberty and return to identity.

Regina Spektor hooks up with Folds for “You Don’t Know Me,” a moving reflection about lovers who realize they don’t understand the most central things about each other. “If I’m the person who you say I am, clueless chump you seem to think I am, so he’s been led astray like an errant dog,” they sing. In my opinion it’s one of the most moving songs on the album.

“The bitch went nuts, she stabbed my basketball and the speakers to my stereo.” Way to Normal is at its most daring during “Bitch Went Nuts,” a sick-nasty track that guarantees to appeal to dumped dudes everywhere. This track almost didn’t make the cut because this was the first time that Folds had written a track with the word “bitch” in it but, Folds being Folds, he decided that the track was just too much fun to leave off the album.

Ben Folds maintains that Way to Normal is the most fun he’s had recording… and with that said, it’s a feeling that will most certainly resonate with listeners.

Matt Levin

Contributing EDGE Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...