Sports Briefs

TENNIS

Hurricanes compete at two tournaments

The top-ranked doubles team of senior Daniel Vallverdu and sophomore Carl Sundberg fell in the second round of the All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla.

North Carolina’s 16th-ranked duo of Clay Donato and Taylor Fogleman edged past the Canes, 8-6.

Junior J.C. Whitner won in both the singles and doubles finals at the Scott Tribley Tournament in Brandenton, Fla.

Whitner beat FAMU’s Michael Moore 6-1, 6-3 and paired up with junior Hector Nieto to defeat the Rattlers’ team, 8-5.

CROSS COUNTRY

Teams race at Disney Classic

Senior Ryan Woodlee led the men to an 11th place finish with a time of 27:04 and three others ran under 28 minutes. Windsor, Ontario, Canada placed first out of the 38 teams.

The women placed 13th as sophomore Emma Steppe ran a time of 19:10. Alabama-Birmingham won the team title.

SWIMMING/DIVING

Hurricanes split meets in North Carolina

Miami (2-2) defeated the University of Maryland-Baltimore County 162-79, but lost 144-99 to host N.C. State on Saturday.

The Hurricanes swam to a third place finish in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 4:00.22 and sophomore Ryann Labreche earned second with a 10:26.44 in the 1000-yard freestyle. Redshirt freshman Lauren Jacoby finished second in the 200-yard freestyle with a season-best time of 1:54.09.

Senior Britta Boesing earned the top time with a 2:06.22 in the 200 IM and also went on to post a second place time of 2:05.70 in the 200-yard backstroke.

The 400-yard freestyle relay squad finished second behind the Wolfpack with a time of 3:33.22.

Senior Jenna Dryer led the female divers in a sweep of the 1-meter event with a score of 327.35 and sophomore Brittany Viola took first with a 281.75 in the 3-meter springboard

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...