Sports Briefs

TENNIS

Hurricanes compete at two tournaments

The top-ranked doubles team of senior Daniel Vallverdu and sophomore Carl Sundberg fell in the second round of the All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla.

North Carolina’s 16th-ranked duo of Clay Donato and Taylor Fogleman edged past the Canes, 8-6.

Junior J.C. Whitner won in both the singles and doubles finals at the Scott Tribley Tournament in Brandenton, Fla.

Whitner beat FAMU’s Michael Moore 6-1, 6-3 and paired up with junior Hector Nieto to defeat the Rattlers’ team, 8-5.

CROSS COUNTRY

Teams race at Disney Classic

Senior Ryan Woodlee led the men to an 11th place finish with a time of 27:04 and three others ran under 28 minutes. Windsor, Ontario, Canada placed first out of the 38 teams.

The women placed 13th as sophomore Emma Steppe ran a time of 19:10. Alabama-Birmingham won the team title.

SWIMMING/DIVING

Hurricanes split meets in North Carolina

Miami (2-2) defeated the University of Maryland-Baltimore County 162-79, but lost 144-99 to host N.C. State on Saturday.

The Hurricanes swam to a third place finish in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 4:00.22 and sophomore Ryann Labreche earned second with a 10:26.44 in the 1000-yard freestyle. Redshirt freshman Lauren Jacoby finished second in the 200-yard freestyle with a season-best time of 1:54.09.

Senior Britta Boesing earned the top time with a 2:06.22 in the 200 IM and also went on to post a second place time of 2:05.70 in the 200-yard backstroke.

The 400-yard freestyle relay squad finished second behind the Wolfpack with a time of 3:33.22.

Senior Jenna Dryer led the female divers in a sweep of the 1-meter event with a score of 327.35 and sophomore Brittany Viola took first with a 281.75 in the 3-meter springboard

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...