Sports Briefs

TENNIS

Hurricanes compete at two tournaments

The top-ranked doubles team of senior Daniel Vallverdu and sophomore Carl Sundberg fell in the second round of the All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla.

North Carolina’s 16th-ranked duo of Clay Donato and Taylor Fogleman edged past the Canes, 8-6.

Junior J.C. Whitner won in both the singles and doubles finals at the Scott Tribley Tournament in Brandenton, Fla.

Whitner beat FAMU’s Michael Moore 6-1, 6-3 and paired up with junior Hector Nieto to defeat the Rattlers’ team, 8-5.

CROSS COUNTRY

Teams race at Disney Classic

Senior Ryan Woodlee led the men to an 11th place finish with a time of 27:04 and three others ran under 28 minutes. Windsor, Ontario, Canada placed first out of the 38 teams.

The women placed 13th as sophomore Emma Steppe ran a time of 19:10. Alabama-Birmingham won the team title.

SWIMMING/DIVING

Hurricanes split meets in North Carolina

Miami (2-2) defeated the University of Maryland-Baltimore County 162-79, but lost 144-99 to host N.C. State on Saturday.

The Hurricanes swam to a third place finish in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 4:00.22 and sophomore Ryann Labreche earned second with a 10:26.44 in the 1000-yard freestyle. Redshirt freshman Lauren Jacoby finished second in the 200-yard freestyle with a season-best time of 1:54.09.

Senior Britta Boesing earned the top time with a 2:06.22 in the 200 IM and also went on to post a second place time of 2:05.70 in the 200-yard backstroke.

The 400-yard freestyle relay squad finished second behind the Wolfpack with a time of 3:33.22.

Senior Jenna Dryer led the female divers in a sweep of the 1-meter event with a score of 327.35 and sophomore Brittany Viola took first with a 281.75 in the 3-meter springboard

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...