Sports Briefs

TENNIS

Hurricanes compete at two tournaments

The top-ranked doubles team of senior Daniel Vallverdu and sophomore Carl Sundberg fell in the second round of the All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla.

North Carolina’s 16th-ranked duo of Clay Donato and Taylor Fogleman edged past the Canes, 8-6.

Junior J.C. Whitner won in both the singles and doubles finals at the Scott Tribley Tournament in Brandenton, Fla.

Whitner beat FAMU’s Michael Moore 6-1, 6-3 and paired up with junior Hector Nieto to defeat the Rattlers’ team, 8-5.

CROSS COUNTRY

Teams race at Disney Classic

Senior Ryan Woodlee led the men to an 11th place finish with a time of 27:04 and three others ran under 28 minutes. Windsor, Ontario, Canada placed first out of the 38 teams.

The women placed 13th as sophomore Emma Steppe ran a time of 19:10. Alabama-Birmingham won the team title.

SWIMMING/DIVING

Hurricanes split meets in North Carolina

Miami (2-2) defeated the University of Maryland-Baltimore County 162-79, but lost 144-99 to host N.C. State on Saturday.

The Hurricanes swam to a third place finish in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 4:00.22 and sophomore Ryann Labreche earned second with a 10:26.44 in the 1000-yard freestyle. Redshirt freshman Lauren Jacoby finished second in the 200-yard freestyle with a season-best time of 1:54.09.

Senior Britta Boesing earned the top time with a 2:06.22 in the 200 IM and also went on to post a second place time of 2:05.70 in the 200-yard backstroke.

The 400-yard freestyle relay squad finished second behind the Wolfpack with a time of 3:33.22.

Senior Jenna Dryer led the female divers in a sweep of the 1-meter event with a score of 327.35 and sophomore Brittany Viola took first with a 281.75 in the 3-meter springboard

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...