Sports Briefs

TENNIS

Hurricanes compete at two tournaments

The top-ranked doubles team of senior Daniel Vallverdu and sophomore Carl Sundberg fell in the second round of the All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla.

North Carolina’s 16th-ranked duo of Clay Donato and Taylor Fogleman edged past the Canes, 8-6.

Junior J.C. Whitner won in both the singles and doubles finals at the Scott Tribley Tournament in Brandenton, Fla.

Whitner beat FAMU’s Michael Moore 6-1, 6-3 and paired up with junior Hector Nieto to defeat the Rattlers’ team, 8-5.

CROSS COUNTRY

Teams race at Disney Classic

Senior Ryan Woodlee led the men to an 11th place finish with a time of 27:04 and three others ran under 28 minutes. Windsor, Ontario, Canada placed first out of the 38 teams.

The women placed 13th as sophomore Emma Steppe ran a time of 19:10. Alabama-Birmingham won the team title.

SWIMMING/DIVING

Hurricanes split meets in North Carolina

Miami (2-2) defeated the University of Maryland-Baltimore County 162-79, but lost 144-99 to host N.C. State on Saturday.

The Hurricanes swam to a third place finish in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 4:00.22 and sophomore Ryann Labreche earned second with a 10:26.44 in the 1000-yard freestyle. Redshirt freshman Lauren Jacoby finished second in the 200-yard freestyle with a season-best time of 1:54.09.

Senior Britta Boesing earned the top time with a 2:06.22 in the 200 IM and also went on to post a second place time of 2:05.70 in the 200-yard backstroke.

The 400-yard freestyle relay squad finished second behind the Wolfpack with a time of 3:33.22.

Senior Jenna Dryer led the female divers in a sweep of the 1-meter event with a score of 327.35 and sophomore Brittany Viola took first with a 281.75 in the 3-meter springboard

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...