Our opinion: Student service a testament to ability of new generation

Surely you’ve heard this one from your parents or a particular person of a particular age. “This younger generation, they’re leading us to hell in a handbasket,” or, “I’m glad I won’t be around to see you kids screw everything up.”

As the current state of our government and economy can attest, they haven’t done a bang-up job themselves. But instead of harping on the negative, lets focus on the positive.

Students all over this campus and all over the world, have really stepped up and become an agent of change in their communities. Whether it’s the all-new Dance Marathon (see page 3) or one of the dozens of outreach programs by the Butler Center for Volunteer Service & Leadership Development, the perception of the apathetic college student has gone by the wayside, replaced with a socially aware citizen of the globe. Think of 1960s activism without so much burning.

According to the Butler Center, 70% of students at the University of Miami participate in at least one Butler-sponsored volunteer activity each year. That’s a staggering figure. Approximately 7,000 people working to better the community around them is incredibly impressive.

So what should be said about this? Two things. First, to those of a different generation, who remember student takeovers of campus buildings and violent protests of inequity in the world: we’re in on the act too. Sure, maybe we don’t have the radical streak that you had, but it’s fair to say our method will probably work out in the long run. Just look at yourselves: the hippies of the ’60s became the yuppies of the ’80s.

Second, to those students participating in volunteerism today: branch out. If you have a friend not helping out, recruit them. Find them a cause they can go out for. From voter registration to Habitat for Humanity, there are a plethora of causes someone can get roused up for. And before you look down too much on those of a different generation, remember: they could be funding your next volunteer project.

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...