Movie Review: ‘Body of Lies’ has no soul

The new spy thriller Body of Lies teaches us nothing if not that the CIA steals souls.

Roger Ferris (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a counterterrorist CIA operative in the Middle East. He is searching for the terrorist leader Al-Saleem using intel from his boss, Ed Hoffman (Russell Crowe), who may or may not be trustworthy.

The story is much more confusing than this brief synopsis, but not because of all the plot developments. Ferris’ goal becomes vague among countless scenes that meander through environments fragmented by war. Any driving force behind the film is stalled by the cinematic equivalent of reconnaissance, sometimes punctuated by a hollow action sequence.

Even worse, the characters have no depth. So much time is spent covering the details of the operation that the players have no personality save for their relationship to the plot. In essence, this creates a story filled with characters that inspire indifference – the worst possible scenario because they aren’t worth liking or hating. A love story is hastily thrown in, but it’s hard to believe that’s a feasible emotion in this cinematic world.

The film is well made and features some good performances, but “Body of Lies” ends up an insipid and overcomplicated mess.

Rating: 1.5 out of 4 stars

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...