Movie Review: ‘Body of Lies’ has no soul

The new spy thriller Body of Lies teaches us nothing if not that the CIA steals souls.

Roger Ferris (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a counterterrorist CIA operative in the Middle East. He is searching for the terrorist leader Al-Saleem using intel from his boss, Ed Hoffman (Russell Crowe), who may or may not be trustworthy.

The story is much more confusing than this brief synopsis, but not because of all the plot developments. Ferris’ goal becomes vague among countless scenes that meander through environments fragmented by war. Any driving force behind the film is stalled by the cinematic equivalent of reconnaissance, sometimes punctuated by a hollow action sequence.

Even worse, the characters have no depth. So much time is spent covering the details of the operation that the players have no personality save for their relationship to the plot. In essence, this creates a story filled with characters that inspire indifference – the worst possible scenario because they aren’t worth liking or hating. A love story is hastily thrown in, but it’s hard to believe that’s a feasible emotion in this cinematic world.

The film is well made and features some good performances, but “Body of Lies” ends up an insipid and overcomplicated mess.

Rating: 1.5 out of 4 stars

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team dropped the opening set befo ...

Miami track and field punched three more tickets to the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships on the final ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...