V's Take

Dear V: Should I be okay with allowing my boyfriend’s birthday ménage à trois?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for nearly two years. We are fairly serious and in a committed relationship. For his upcoming 21st birthday, he asked me if I would be willing to consider a threesome. Always intrigued by the idea I said I would give it some thought; however, he recently informed me it wouldn’t be with any ordinary girl. He wanted the other girl involved to be my OLDER SISTER. I really don’t want to do this, but he might be the love of my life. I don’t want to lose him! 

-No Way!

Dear No Way, 

Judging by the way you signed your letter and by the way you said, “I really don’t want to do this,” I would think that it’d be wisest not to do this. I’m no advocate of threesomes, especially in serious, committed relationships such as the one you claim to have, but this one seems to be a no-brainer.

You need to take into question a few of the premises of this proposal. First, this is a threesome you’re talking about here. Not role-playing. Not S&M. A threesome. Meaning there is someone else there who is not part of this ‘serious and committed’ relationship. Your boyfriend is saying that he needs another girl there to make him feel special for his 21st birthday. Basically meaning that what you’ve given him is not enough. Who needs his girlfriend when he could have sisters?

When taking this into account, does that translate into true love? Sure, we’ve all heard of people who have and enjoy threesomes, but it usually happens between people who don’t ‘love’ one of the other partners and who can have sex without having emotional repercussions.

I don’t know about you, but the last thing I would want is to see my boyfriend whom I love and care about having sex with another person. And if he’s so willing to be so ballsy this early in life when things are still so fresh and exciting, who’s to say that he’ll draw the line there if you do end up with him later in life?

And let’s not forget the clincher – he wants to have sex with your sister! In front of you! What?! On the most basic level, that just screams incest to me, but on a deeper level, that’s just selfishness at its best. Or worst. Sounds like a sick little ploy to check off ‘Sister Threesome’ on his sexual to-do list.

Trust your instincts when they tell you that this is not good for you. How can you engage in something so meaningful without being honest about how it makes you feel? The point is that it’s a risk not worth taking. Be firm in your conviction and be wary of the ‘love of your life.’

Advice Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...