Wellness Center to be named following $8 million donation

The University of Miami's Wellness Center will soon be renamed for Patty and Allan Herbert after an $8 million donation. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

The University of Miami's Wellness Center will soon be renamed for Patti and Allan Herbert after an $8 million donation. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

The University of Miami Wellness Center will have a new name along with an $8 million gift. The same couple who established an endowment for the Canes Health Assessment and Motivation Program, Patti and Allan Herbert will have their names above the doorway at the entrance of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center.

The Herberts met the first week of school at UM, fell in love and married. Yet besides this recent donation, the Herbert’s were first recognized for CHAMP in Nov. 2004. Because of their generosity several years earlier, the bridge in front of the Wellness Center was named the Love Bridge to commemorate the Herbert’ love for the university and each other.

And because of that love of alma mater, the couple donated $8 million this year to be used by the Wellness Center.

“We’ve been talking with the Herberts about this opportunity for a number of years now,” said Patricia A. Whitely, the vice president for Student Affairs. “We’re so thrilled and excited about this. It is a tribute to the alums and their love of UM.”

The building was initially named the George A. Smathers Student Wellness Center after the former Florida senator; subsequently the senator and the university mutually agreed to remove his name from the building and rename the exterior courtyard after him instead.

The unveiling of the name will take place on Oct. 23, when a party from 3:30 to 5 p.m. will celebrate and thank the Herberts for the gift.

But even with the planning for the future expansion of the Wellness Center, Whitely said this gift is a separate decision.

“We’ll know what we’re using the money for in the next six months. Hopefully it will eventually help with the expansion,” Whitely said, “But right now, we don’t know exactly what we’re using it for.”

Norman Parsons, director of the department of Wellness and Recreation, told The Miami Hurricane in an e-mail that they are all “thrilled to have Patti and Allan Herbert’s name on the Wellness Center.”

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...