Sports Briefs

BASEBALL

Fall season begins

The University of Miami baseball team begins fall practice Thursday.

Over the next two months, the players will compete in ten intrasquad scrimmages, the annual alumni game on Oct. 24, scrimmages against Miami Dade College and Indian River Community College, the Orange-Green World Series and Pro Scout Day.

Nineteen players return from last year’s team that finished 53-11 and made it to the College World Series. The incoming 13-member signing class was recently ranked seventh nationally by College Baseball Newspaper.

ROWING

Good showing at Head of the Oklahoma Regatta

Over the weekend, Miami’s rowing team took part in one of the premiere racing events at the Head of the Oklahoma Regatta in Oklahoma City.

In the Collegiate Eight night race, the Canes finished fourth behind Stanford, Washington State and Harvard/Radcliffe in the 500 meter sprint.

Sophomore Monika Sajinic won in singles racing by over one minute with a time of 17:06.421.

The top Collegiate Four team at Miami, consisting of coxswain Shira Kharrazi, stroke Laura Cordner, 3-seat Nic Saner, 2-seat Frida Schneider and bow Sajinic, won with a time of 15:51.753.

Information compiled by from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...