South Miami/Kendall Beat Notebook

South Floridians adopt pets at Adoption Day

Miami-Dade Animal Services celebrated its third birthday by hosting an Anniversary Adoption Day on Sunday. South Florida residents were able to adopt dogs and cats for a $50 refundable adoption fee and received a gift in return. Animal services also accepted donations of dog and cat toys to benefit animals in local shelters.

Boating Safety Awareness Day this Saturday

Boating Safety Awareness Day is scheduled to take place this Saturday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. at Black Point Marina in Cutler Bay. The event will include demonstrations from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and Police Marine Operations, U.S Coast Guard Auxiliary, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Boaters will be taught different safety tips and reminded about maritime rules and regulations.

Cosmetology school hosts breast cancer charity event

The Paul Mitchell Hi-Tech School of Cosmetology hosted the third annual Cut for the Cure last Sunday. The event was sponsored by Elite Salon Systems and Paul Mitchell hair products. For $15, participants throughout South Florida were able to get their hair cut and styled with proceeds going towards breast cancer research at the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Whole Foods hosts “Healthy Happy Hour”

Enjoy a “Healthy Happy Hour” at the Pinecrest Whole Foods Market between 6 and 8 p.m. on Friday. Guests can get $1 off a smoothie or veggie juice by LaPeca, Whole Foods’ resident “Juice Bar Queen,” as well as munch on complimentary nutritious appetizers. Local guitar legend, Peter Betan, will be there performing live music for the duration of the event.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...