South Miami/Kendall Beat Notebook

South Floridians adopt pets at Adoption Day

Miami-Dade Animal Services celebrated its third birthday by hosting an Anniversary Adoption Day on Sunday. South Florida residents were able to adopt dogs and cats for a $50 refundable adoption fee and received a gift in return. Animal services also accepted donations of dog and cat toys to benefit animals in local shelters.

Boating Safety Awareness Day this Saturday

Boating Safety Awareness Day is scheduled to take place this Saturday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. at Black Point Marina in Cutler Bay. The event will include demonstrations from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and Police Marine Operations, U.S Coast Guard Auxiliary, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Boaters will be taught different safety tips and reminded about maritime rules and regulations.

Cosmetology school hosts breast cancer charity event

The Paul Mitchell Hi-Tech School of Cosmetology hosted the third annual Cut for the Cure last Sunday. The event was sponsored by Elite Salon Systems and Paul Mitchell hair products. For $15, participants throughout South Florida were able to get their hair cut and styled with proceeds going towards breast cancer research at the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Whole Foods hosts “Healthy Happy Hour”

Enjoy a “Healthy Happy Hour” at the Pinecrest Whole Foods Market between 6 and 8 p.m. on Friday. Guests can get $1 off a smoothie or veggie juice by LaPeca, Whole Foods’ resident “Juice Bar Queen,” as well as munch on complimentary nutritious appetizers. Local guitar legend, Peter Betan, will be there performing live music for the duration of the event.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...