South Miami/Kendall Beat Notebook

South Floridians adopt pets at Adoption Day

Miami-Dade Animal Services celebrated its third birthday by hosting an Anniversary Adoption Day on Sunday. South Florida residents were able to adopt dogs and cats for a $50 refundable adoption fee and received a gift in return. Animal services also accepted donations of dog and cat toys to benefit animals in local shelters.

Boating Safety Awareness Day this Saturday

Boating Safety Awareness Day is scheduled to take place this Saturday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. at Black Point Marina in Cutler Bay. The event will include demonstrations from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and Police Marine Operations, U.S Coast Guard Auxiliary, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Boaters will be taught different safety tips and reminded about maritime rules and regulations.

Cosmetology school hosts breast cancer charity event

The Paul Mitchell Hi-Tech School of Cosmetology hosted the third annual Cut for the Cure last Sunday. The event was sponsored by Elite Salon Systems and Paul Mitchell hair products. For $15, participants throughout South Florida were able to get their hair cut and styled with proceeds going towards breast cancer research at the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Whole Foods hosts “Healthy Happy Hour”

Enjoy a “Healthy Happy Hour” at the Pinecrest Whole Foods Market between 6 and 8 p.m. on Friday. Guests can get $1 off a smoothie or veggie juice by LaPeca, Whole Foods’ resident “Juice Bar Queen,” as well as munch on complimentary nutritious appetizers. Local guitar legend, Peter Betan, will be there performing live music for the duration of the event.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...