Fashion 4Word

Tory Burch Takes UM by Storm
From bags to bracelets and even to flip-flops, the emblematic cross logo of Tory Burch is unmistakable and has quite a presence on the University of Miami campus. Described by Ms. Burch herself on her company Web site, Tory Burch items blend “timeless and classic design elements with modern fashion sensibilities…[providing]an original look for style conscious women who might be aware of the trends but [do]not rely on them.” Similarly, students on campus have taken key pieces from the Tory Burch collection and integrated them with other styles, to make something uniquely their own.

Most popular among undergraduates are Ms. Burch’s totes. Available in a variety of colors and patterns, each features thick patent straps perfect for carrying heavy books and laptops to class. This month, a special limited edition pink and navy tote (complete with matching cosmetic bag) is available for purchase to benefit the breast cancer research foundation. Despite its steep price tag of $195, ten percent of all online and in-store purchases of this canvas bag will be donated to the foundation. If you want to catch on to this hot bag trend, consider buying this stylish version to support a good cause.

Also trendy on the UM campus are the Tory Burch rubber flip-flops. Available in 14 different colors and in combinations of the signature 3T print, each pair has logo detailing on the thong. These delightfully colorful kicks are great to spice up an otherwise boring outfit. They are also a less expensive way to take part in the Tory Burch revolution, with each pair costing about $50.

While some sport the Burch logo on their shoes, many students can also be seen donning it on their wrists. The ever-popular “Logo Cuff,” is available in gold or gunmetal for $250.  This ladylike bracelet has a preppy vibe, but the thickness of the cuff alludes to its more structured, masculine undertones.

Great accompaniments to the “Logo Cuff,” are many of Tory Burch’s tops.  Students on campus can be seen at night styling her jewel-tone silk creations while waiting for cabs, dancing in clubs, and walking around in Coconut Grove. These tops lend themselves perfectly to Miami nightlife with their style and function, and students have definitely taken notice.

Whether or not the creations of Tory Burch are your style, her flawless execution can at least be appreciated. Any Burch item is well-made and guaranteed to last, and would be a welcome addition to many people’s closets. Join in on the Tory Burch trend, or at least her philosophy of making preppy your own and styling your clothes on your own terms.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...