Fashion 4Word

Tory Burch Takes UM by Storm
From bags to bracelets and even to flip-flops, the emblematic cross logo of Tory Burch is unmistakable and has quite a presence on the University of Miami campus. Described by Ms. Burch herself on her company Web site, Tory Burch items blend “timeless and classic design elements with modern fashion sensibilities…[providing]an original look for style conscious women who might be aware of the trends but [do]not rely on them.” Similarly, students on campus have taken key pieces from the Tory Burch collection and integrated them with other styles, to make something uniquely their own.

Most popular among undergraduates are Ms. Burch’s totes. Available in a variety of colors and patterns, each features thick patent straps perfect for carrying heavy books and laptops to class. This month, a special limited edition pink and navy tote (complete with matching cosmetic bag) is available for purchase to benefit the breast cancer research foundation. Despite its steep price tag of $195, ten percent of all online and in-store purchases of this canvas bag will be donated to the foundation. If you want to catch on to this hot bag trend, consider buying this stylish version to support a good cause.

Also trendy on the UM campus are the Tory Burch rubber flip-flops. Available in 14 different colors and in combinations of the signature 3T print, each pair has logo detailing on the thong. These delightfully colorful kicks are great to spice up an otherwise boring outfit. They are also a less expensive way to take part in the Tory Burch revolution, with each pair costing about $50.

While some sport the Burch logo on their shoes, many students can also be seen donning it on their wrists. The ever-popular “Logo Cuff,” is available in gold or gunmetal for $250.  This ladylike bracelet has a preppy vibe, but the thickness of the cuff alludes to its more structured, masculine undertones.

Great accompaniments to the “Logo Cuff,” are many of Tory Burch’s tops.  Students on campus can be seen at night styling her jewel-tone silk creations while waiting for cabs, dancing in clubs, and walking around in Coconut Grove. These tops lend themselves perfectly to Miami nightlife with their style and function, and students have definitely taken notice.

Whether or not the creations of Tory Burch are your style, her flawless execution can at least be appreciated. Any Burch item is well-made and guaranteed to last, and would be a welcome addition to many people’s closets. Join in on the Tory Burch trend, or at least her philosophy of making preppy your own and styling your clothes on your own terms.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...