UM ranked 44th most ‘sexually healthy’ college

PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BILLY GERDTS // Hurricane Staff

The University of Miami is not one of the nation’s top 50 schools according to the US News college rankings, but it has made the list of the top 50 most sexually healthy colleges.

This ranking was published in the 2008 Trojan Sexual Health Report Card. It scored 139 colleges and universities based on the adequacy of their sexual health resources. The study was conducted by the independent data collection and research firm Sperling’s BestPlaces.

Previously ranked No. 50, Miami has improved to the 44th spot on the report card’s rankings.

However, the improvements are minimal, says Bert Sperling, director of Sperlings BestPlaces.

“That is not a huge amount of improvement. I would not attach any significance to it,” Sperling said. “The notion that the more information students have, the better they can make decisions with regard to health and sexual activity is what we really concentrated on. The easier, cheaper, and more available the information is for students, the better the university’s rankings.”

More than 9,000 student responses were collected from across the country to evaluate opinions on their university’s sexual health programs. Health centers were contacted directly with a survey about the services offered to students.

The amount of hours a college health center operates during a week was taken into consideration for the rankings.

Sperling said that universities with health centers open on the weekend hours will rank better than those without. This semester, the Student Health Center is open Sundays from noon to 4 p.m.

“There’s definitely room for improvement,” said Ashley Falcon, assistant director of the Department of Wellness and Recreation and director of the Women’s Commission. “The Health Center doesn’t handle everything. We handle sexual health education on top of fitness and other things, for example.”

She recommends more programming like Sexual Assault Awareness Week and the No Zebras student organization, which handles sexual assault and awareness issues.

Ranking in the top five on the Report Card were Stanford University, Columbia University, Cornell University, the University of Iowa and the University of Denver.

Stanford received a top ranking, according to the Report, because of “expanded methodology and student polling.”

At the bottom of the report card were DePaul University, St. John’s University, Providence College, the University of Notre Dame and Louisana Tech University.

Florida Atlantic University ranked 10th, making it the best college in the state of Florida in terms of sexual health. Also on the Report Card was the University of Florida, at No. 47, Florida International University at No. 75, and Florida State University at No. 88.

Overall, Trojan reports that college students across the country think their health centers have improved. All categories but one improved by an average of three percent. However, one-third of students surveyed stated that they would never contact their health center for sexual health information.

Other categories considered included:

• The student body’s opinion of the health center
  • Whether walk-ins are allowed
  • If free contraceptives are offered
  • Availability of condoms
  • HIV/AIDS testing availability
  • STD testing costs and availability
  • Anonymous services
  • Student peer groups
  • Sexual assault programs
  • Website usability and functionality

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...