Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

Sophomore competes in consolation final

At the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships in Pacific Palisades, Calif., sophomore transfer Julia Cohen, ranked 25th nationally, fell in straight sets 6-4, 6-2 to fifth-ranked Amanda Fink of Southern California in the consolation main draw championship on Sunday morning.

In the semifinals, Cohen pulled an upset over Louisiana State’s 15th-ranked Megan Falcon, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.

Cross Country

Men and women finish in top three

The University of Miami men’s and women’s cross country teams finished third and second, respectively, at the Florida Runners Invitational on Friday evening in Titusville, Fla.

Freshman Anna Bona led the women with a time of 19:08. Of the 11 teams at the meet, Central Florida took the title.

Senior Ryan Woodlee once again set the pace for the men by finishing third individually at 26:26. Florida International and Nova Southeastern took the top two spots.

Swimming/Diving

Season-opening split against Florida Gulf Coast and Florida State

Miami (1-1) picked up 12 top-five finishes as well as first place in the 400 freestyle relay on Saturday morning at the Norman Whitten Pool. The Hurricanes defeated Florida Golf Coast University 143-103, but fell 99-149 to Florida State.

Junior diver Reuben Ross, who competed at the Beijing Olympics for Canada, took second in the men’s one-meter springboard with a score of 344.45 while sophomore J.J. Kinzbach finished fifth (282.55).

In the three-meter springboard, Ross and Kinzbach collected first and third respectively.

The women’s diving team swept the 1m and 3m springboards with senior Jenna Dryer, who took part in the Olympics for South Africa, freshman Kelci Bryant, who participated for the United States and sophomore national champion Brittany Viola.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...