Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

Sophomore competes in consolation final

At the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships in Pacific Palisades, Calif., sophomore transfer Julia Cohen, ranked 25th nationally, fell in straight sets 6-4, 6-2 to fifth-ranked Amanda Fink of Southern California in the consolation main draw championship on Sunday morning.

In the semifinals, Cohen pulled an upset over Louisiana State’s 15th-ranked Megan Falcon, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.

Cross Country

Men and women finish in top three

The University of Miami men’s and women’s cross country teams finished third and second, respectively, at the Florida Runners Invitational on Friday evening in Titusville, Fla.

Freshman Anna Bona led the women with a time of 19:08. Of the 11 teams at the meet, Central Florida took the title.

Senior Ryan Woodlee once again set the pace for the men by finishing third individually at 26:26. Florida International and Nova Southeastern took the top two spots.

Swimming/Diving

Season-opening split against Florida Gulf Coast and Florida State

Miami (1-1) picked up 12 top-five finishes as well as first place in the 400 freestyle relay on Saturday morning at the Norman Whitten Pool. The Hurricanes defeated Florida Golf Coast University 143-103, but fell 99-149 to Florida State.

Junior diver Reuben Ross, who competed at the Beijing Olympics for Canada, took second in the men’s one-meter springboard with a score of 344.45 while sophomore J.J. Kinzbach finished fifth (282.55).

In the three-meter springboard, Ross and Kinzbach collected first and third respectively.

The women’s diving team swept the 1m and 3m springboards with senior Jenna Dryer, who took part in the Olympics for South Africa, freshman Kelci Bryant, who participated for the United States and sophomore national champion Brittany Viola.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...