Soccer

Skid continues as soccer team loses two on the road

COMBATIVE: Corynn Carino faces off against Boston College player Brooke Knowlton during their game this weekend. The Hurricanes lost 4-1, their third straight loss to an ACC team. Photo by Ryan Joyce // The Heights.

The rough patch continued for the women’s soccer team this past weekend as it lost both of its conference road games at Boston College and Maryland.

On Sunday afternoon, the Hurricanes were outshot 19-5 by the Terrapins (5-6-1, 1-3-0) en route to a 1-0 loss.

Miami failed to earn a corner kick while Maryland, Hurricane head coach Tricia Taliaferro’s alma mater, took four, one of which led to the game’s only goal.

Forward Ashley Grove’s kick to the low post was gathered by forward Kaila Sciascia for her sixth score of the season.

“It was a mental breakdown on a corner kick and a loss of concentration,” associate head coach Jeff Freeman said. “There was a lack of discipline marking players.”

Despite controlling the ball for the majority of the second half, the Canes failed to score when junior Paulelett Ricks-Chambers ran along the end line and crossed to junior Beverly Goebel for a one-timer that Terrapin goalkeeper, Mary Casey, made a nice save on.

“That was probably our best opportunity of the game,” Freeman said. “A lot of the shots weren’t very threatening.”

On Thursday night, the Hurricanes suffered a 4-1 loss to No. 12 Boston College (8-1-2, 2-0-1).

The Eagles scored five minutes into the game on midfielder Caitlin Hiler’s first goal of the season and extended the lead to two at the half with forward Brooke Knowlton’s finish.

Miami, on the other hand, failed to produce a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes of play.

After pressuring earlier with a shot that missed high, midfielder Julia Bouchelle found the back of the net in the 52nd minute and defender Alyssa Pember rounded out the Eagles’ scoring for her first of the year on a rebound.

Freshman Ashlee Burt provided the lone goal for the Canes in the 61st minute when sophomore Lauren Singer’s shot from 25 yards out bounced to her for a perfect set piece.

“We have to fix some things,” Burt said. “We’ve had a rough stretch, but I believe that we will make the right adjustments.”

BC outshot UM 31-4 and earned 11 corners.

Goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo tied a career-high with 11 saves and gave up a season-high four goals.

“It was a tough loss because going in we were confident,” Taliaferro said. “We had made adjustments and had a good game plan. BC is an excellent team. We had mental lapses by giving up a goal in the first five minutes and it broke our spirits. We understand what we need to do to turn this around.”

Miami (7-5-2, 0-3-1) returns to action Sunday at noon to host 11th-ranked Florida State (8-2-1, 2-1-0) at Cobb Stadium in the midst of a seven-game winless streak.

“We did gain some confidence in the second half [on Sunday]for the Florida State game next week,” Freeman said. “That’s going to be a big game.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...