Soccer

Skid continues as soccer team loses two on the road

COMBATIVE: Corynn Carino faces off against Boston College player Brooke Knowlton during their game this weekend. The Hurricanes lost 4-1, their third straight loss to an ACC team. Photo by Ryan Joyce // The Heights.

The rough patch continued for the women’s soccer team this past weekend as it lost both of its conference road games at Boston College and Maryland.

On Sunday afternoon, the Hurricanes were outshot 19-5 by the Terrapins (5-6-1, 1-3-0) en route to a 1-0 loss.

Miami failed to earn a corner kick while Maryland, Hurricane head coach Tricia Taliaferro’s alma mater, took four, one of which led to the game’s only goal.

Forward Ashley Grove’s kick to the low post was gathered by forward Kaila Sciascia for her sixth score of the season.

“It was a mental breakdown on a corner kick and a loss of concentration,” associate head coach Jeff Freeman said. “There was a lack of discipline marking players.”

Despite controlling the ball for the majority of the second half, the Canes failed to score when junior Paulelett Ricks-Chambers ran along the end line and crossed to junior Beverly Goebel for a one-timer that Terrapin goalkeeper, Mary Casey, made a nice save on.

“That was probably our best opportunity of the game,” Freeman said. “A lot of the shots weren’t very threatening.”

On Thursday night, the Hurricanes suffered a 4-1 loss to No. 12 Boston College (8-1-2, 2-0-1).

The Eagles scored five minutes into the game on midfielder Caitlin Hiler’s first goal of the season and extended the lead to two at the half with forward Brooke Knowlton’s finish.

Miami, on the other hand, failed to produce a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes of play.

After pressuring earlier with a shot that missed high, midfielder Julia Bouchelle found the back of the net in the 52nd minute and defender Alyssa Pember rounded out the Eagles’ scoring for her first of the year on a rebound.

Freshman Ashlee Burt provided the lone goal for the Canes in the 61st minute when sophomore Lauren Singer’s shot from 25 yards out bounced to her for a perfect set piece.

“We have to fix some things,” Burt said. “We’ve had a rough stretch, but I believe that we will make the right adjustments.”

BC outshot UM 31-4 and earned 11 corners.

Goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo tied a career-high with 11 saves and gave up a season-high four goals.

“It was a tough loss because going in we were confident,” Taliaferro said. “We had made adjustments and had a good game plan. BC is an excellent team. We had mental lapses by giving up a goal in the first five minutes and it broke our spirits. We understand what we need to do to turn this around.”

Miami (7-5-2, 0-3-1) returns to action Sunday at noon to host 11th-ranked Florida State (8-2-1, 2-1-0) at Cobb Stadium in the midst of a seven-game winless streak.

“We did gain some confidence in the second half [on Sunday]for the Florida State game next week,” Freeman said. “That’s going to be a big game.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...