Jimbo’s Place: A piece of old Miami

It is 10 a.m. on a Saturday and Jimbo Luznar, the owner of Jimbo’s Place, is smoking a cigar and drinking a Budweiser as he talks to his customers and staff.

At 81 years old, he is a man that remembers his past, letting his experiences show him important values. “I don’t believe in religion and I don’t believe in politics, I believe in nature,” he said. “Without nature I would not be alive”

Jimbo and his family used the land to help them survive the Great Depression. “We hunted squirrel and rabbits, anything with four legs we ate – hell anything with two legs we ate,” he said, laughing. “Cause we had pheasants and turkeys and quail.”

This attention to the past is what makes Jimbo’s Place appeal to so many of its patrons.

Jimbo’s Place is located off of Virginia Key and serves smoked fish and beer. It has been the site of many photoshoots and film productions. Movies shot here include Flipper, Too Fast Too Furious, and Jimbo’s favorite Gentle Ben.

Jimbo still comes every weekend to see friends and strangers that have come to meet him. People come not only to eat the fish, but to enjoy the atmosphere that many call welcoming

“This place is very relaxing place to go with some buddies. You can hang out… get good food, get good drink. It is a good place to go,” said University of Miami junior Richard Randall.

“The atmosphere here lets you sit here and talk to people, or sit here and meditate and no one will bother you,” said Louis Stinson Jr., a man that has been coming to Jimbo’s Place since he was in high school.

This atmosphere is a testament to Jimbo keeping his past alive. “I have been in Miami for over 35 years and this reminds me of the old times in the islands,” said Jamaican Paul, a Jimbo’s employee.

Jimbo’s memory also endears itself to his customers. “He never forgets a face,” Stinson said.

His customers include notables like Jeb Bush, according to Stinson, and UM students as well.

The first time Jimbo met Willie Haskell, a senior at UM, he spent 30 minutes talking with him about Maryland, where both of them were raised.

The buildings also come from a different age, as the kitchen is made of the wood from Key Biscayne Barn. The shacks that dot Jimbo’s Place were built in the 1960s for the horror film, Claws. An old bus sits in the corner next to a Volkswagen beetle that has been covered in spray paint.

The restaurant is going to stay this way too. “Only reason it is not different than what it is because [the movie people]like it like it is. It is so versatile,” Jimbo said. “You can go 10 feet, find something different to shoot.”

As for Jimbo, he is going to keep his lifestyle as long as he can. “I am not going to slack down. If I slack down, I’m on the way out. I am not going to slack down till I have to” Jimbo said.

Jamaican Paul assures that it is not going to be anytime soon. “This man is going to live as long as badda bing, badda boom,” he said. “But don’t tell him I am going to be right behind him.”

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...