Indie Spotlight: Kid Cudi

Logically speaking, a Kanye West cosign is pretty hard to come by for new artists, or just about any subpar human trying to flex their freshness. But newcomer and genre-crosser Kid Cudi has done just that. The Cleveland-raised Cudi, now a New Yorker, is the newest and arguably the most innovative hip-hop artist to pop up as of late, but he’s working his ass off to make sure he’s not just another hopeful.

Cudi, who was originally signed to DJ A-Trak’s Fool’s Gold Records, began to make some waves on blogs last year when DJ duo Crookers remixed a track of his titled “Day N’ Nite.” The track is something of an electronic enigma – the theme of the song is being lonely and high to the roof, but the Italian DJs made it just as upbeat and danceable as any pop smash.

To follow up on the quick success, Cudi began to release tracks on the Internet before dropping his debut mixtape, A Kid Named Cudi. The result? A 17-track collection of introspective lyricism, soulful singing, catchy melodies, compelling production and a sound bloggers just can’t figure out how to classify.

The versatile Cudi hops on unusual beats and, depending on how the mood strikes, sings or raps or just chats with his listeners, who have no choice but to keep their ears wide open.

With such an oversaturation of mixtapes and new artists flooding the scene, so few can show enough promise and the ability to stay relevant. But with his clever wordplay and a healthy friendship with Kanye West, Cudi is out to conquer his demons and just be a kid named Cudi.

Look for Cudi features on Kanye’s upcoming album, 808′ and Heartbreak, and his own debut, Man on the Moon, which Cudi describes as “the most magnificent and innovative album to come from an artist in ’09.”

Essential Kid Cudi: “Heaven At Nite,” “Cudi Get,” “Embrace the Martian” and “The Prayer.”

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...