Hurriqueen: Tips for cash-crunched students

Dear Hurriqueen,

My family has been hit hard by the economic crisis. I’m financially registered for my classes and all, but I had to take out loans this semester to pay for my rent and living expenses. By the time everything is paid for every month, I have very little money to spend. What sucks is that my friends continue to enjoy the “Miami” lifestyle. They hit up the clubs in South Beach, shop at Merrick and Bal Harbour, and basically buy whatever they want. I don’t know how to tell them that I can’t spend as foolishly as I once did, but I also don’t want to be the loser sitting at home. How can I have fun on a small budget and retain my dignity and reputation?

Thanks,

Trying to Adjust

Dear Reader,

It’s a sad day when the nation’s consumers are halting investments not only on Wall Street, but also Fifth Avenue. Indeed, if you read or watch the news, you should know by now that you’re not the only spoiled American on the edge of financial ruin.

The fact is that all of us, even our educational institution, have to cut back on spending. As President Shalala said in her university-wide email address last week, “[The university’s] long habit of working within our means will serve us well at this difficult time.”

The message? Downsizing is both smart and necessary!  And though you’ve already dealt with this reality, I get the feeling that you’re shameful, embarrassed and have not yet accepted it. Instead, I think you should feel proud of yourself for rolling with the punches.

As for your friends, tell me, what kinds of people are only down to chill if you have the doe to throw away $75 on endless mojitos at the Delano every Saturday? Are your friends so pretentious that they don’t want to spend quality time with you outside a Betsy Johnson boutique?

You don’t have to tell your pals every little detail of the challenges you’re overcoming, but you can start suggesting alternative activities that fit your new budget. Surely, if your friends love you, they’ll be just as happy to trade the upscale experiences for Bud on Biscayne beach or hunting for vintage items at consignment shops. Hell, you might even enjoy the change of scenery! But if they don’t, it would seem as if your circumstances have revealed more about them than you. Indeed, perhaps you’d be better off with a group that is more down-to-earth.  

One last piece of advice: If you’re really ticked off about this economic crisis, maybe you can channel that energy into helping Barack Obama get the opportunity to put this nation on the right track. Volunteering is free… but priceless.

XOXO,

The Hurriqueen

The Hurriqueen

Advice Columnist

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...