Hurriqueen: Tips for cash-crunched students

Dear Hurriqueen,

My family has been hit hard by the economic crisis. I’m financially registered for my classes and all, but I had to take out loans this semester to pay for my rent and living expenses. By the time everything is paid for every month, I have very little money to spend. What sucks is that my friends continue to enjoy the “Miami” lifestyle. They hit up the clubs in South Beach, shop at Merrick and Bal Harbour, and basically buy whatever they want. I don’t know how to tell them that I can’t spend as foolishly as I once did, but I also don’t want to be the loser sitting at home. How can I have fun on a small budget and retain my dignity and reputation?

Thanks,

Trying to Adjust

Dear Reader,

It’s a sad day when the nation’s consumers are halting investments not only on Wall Street, but also Fifth Avenue. Indeed, if you read or watch the news, you should know by now that you’re not the only spoiled American on the edge of financial ruin.

The fact is that all of us, even our educational institution, have to cut back on spending. As President Shalala said in her university-wide email address last week, “[The university’s] long habit of working within our means will serve us well at this difficult time.”

The message? Downsizing is both smart and necessary!  And though you’ve already dealt with this reality, I get the feeling that you’re shameful, embarrassed and have not yet accepted it. Instead, I think you should feel proud of yourself for rolling with the punches.

As for your friends, tell me, what kinds of people are only down to chill if you have the doe to throw away $75 on endless mojitos at the Delano every Saturday? Are your friends so pretentious that they don’t want to spend quality time with you outside a Betsy Johnson boutique?

You don’t have to tell your pals every little detail of the challenges you’re overcoming, but you can start suggesting alternative activities that fit your new budget. Surely, if your friends love you, they’ll be just as happy to trade the upscale experiences for Bud on Biscayne beach or hunting for vintage items at consignment shops. Hell, you might even enjoy the change of scenery! But if they don’t, it would seem as if your circumstances have revealed more about them than you. Indeed, perhaps you’d be better off with a group that is more down-to-earth.  

One last piece of advice: If you’re really ticked off about this economic crisis, maybe you can channel that energy into helping Barack Obama get the opportunity to put this nation on the right track. Volunteering is free… but priceless.

XOXO,

The Hurriqueen

The Hurriqueen

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...